Township: middleton

2000.84.3

The crew of the ‘Baron Polwarth’

Photograph of the crew of the ‘Baron Polwarth’ in 1916.

k50.jpg

Courtesy of Mr Lachie MacDonald

The ‘Baron Polwarth’ was a tramp steamer that plied its trade around the British coasts and European ports. Owned by the tramp ship company Hugh Hogarth & Sons, which later became the Baron Line, the ships were recognisable by their buff and black funnels.

The owners had a reputation for being overly economical when feeding their crews. As a result, the line was nicknamed the ‘Hungry Hogarths’. The crew of the ‘Baron Polwarth’ included several sailors from Tiree.

One of them, Dougall Lamont, son of Archie Lamont of Cornaigmore, died as a result of an accident on board in January 1916. His remains were brought home to Tiree and interred in Kirkapol cemetery. His fellow crew members clubbed together and bought a marble book which was placed on his grave.

Black and white photograph of the crew of the `Baron Polwarth`, Ardrossan in 1916.

Crew of the Baron Polwarth, Ardrossan, 1916. L-R: (back row) Charlie MacDonald, Ruaig, uncle to Mary Flora MacKinnon, Balephetrish and Margaret MacInnes, Ruaig; John MacKinnon, Balephetrish, uncle to Ian MacKinnon (Iain Aonghais), ‘Lochview’, Kilmoluaig; Charles MacDonald, uncle to Lachie MacDonald, Middleton; John MacArthur, father of John MacArthur, Middleton Farm; (middle row) Hugh Cameron; Walter MacDonald, Moss, uncle to Johann MacKinnon, Barrapol and Neil Brownlie; unknown; (front row) possibly Walter Mackinnon, Greenhill; unknown.

1998.184.4

The seaweed factory at Middleton

Photograph of the remains of the seaweed factory at Middleton.

p29.jpg

Courtesy of Mr Donald MacKinnon

The kelp forests around Tiree are the fourth largest in Scottish waters. This abundance fuelled the seaweed industry on the island which, for a hundred years, produced alkali for soap and glass manufacture, and for bleaching linen.

Undercut by cheap foreign imports, the industry slumped from the 1830s until the 1860s when the North British Chemical Company appointed as manager a brilliant young chemist, Edward Curtis-Stanford. He arrived in Tiree in 1864 to supervise the building of the factory at Middleton, known locally as the Glassary.

Until 1901 the factory extracted iodine and alginates from the tangles, selling the residual charcoal as fertilizer and deodorants for earth closets, and using the gas produced by the process to light the buildings. Most of the factory was demolished in 1941 to provide the foundations of the runways built at the Reef for the RAF station.

Black and white photograph of the old seaweed factory at Middleton.

The old seaweed factory at Middleton in the early 20th century.

2003.177.11

Photocopied extract from `The Clyde District of Dumbarton` by MacLeod in 1886.

Account of the North British Chemical Company`s works in Dumbarton which extracted the chemicals from the kelp charcoal produced in Tiree; photograph Curtis-Stanford with other Commissioners of the Burgh of Clydebank in 1886.

2000.131.1

Three floppy disks with Gaelic place-names in Tiree townships.

Gaelic place-names in the Tiree townships.