2022.35.1

Digitised copy of a map of Tiree, dated 1680. The map shows townships in east and west ‘Tirie’, including: Ballevuline [Balevullin], Killmaluaig [Kilmoluaig], Byst [Beist], Bassaboll [Bhasapol], Cornagmore [Cornaigmore], Cornbeg [Cornaigbeg], Kainvay [Kennovay], Balephetris and Baluaig [Balephetris and Baluaig], Cuilis  [Caoles], Ruaig, Salum, Vall [Vaul], Kerkeboll [Kirkapol] , Vill [A’ Bhaoill], Goat [Gott], Scar[-]nish [Scarinish], Heanish, Bay [Baugh], Hileball [Heylipol] Crasseboll [Crossapol], Baleno [Balinoe], [Qu]heise [Cuigeas], Soreby [Soroby], Balemartine, Manall [Mannal], Heynish [Hynish], [He]rine [Heren], Ballephull [Balephuil], Kainvara [Kenavara], Boraball [Barapoll], Balemenoch [Middleton], Sandaig, Grineall [Greenhill], Killkenith [Kilkenneth], M[-]rdost [Murstat], Hoigh [Hough].

The place names in this record were transcribed by volunteers on the Transcribing Tiree project: Jenny Niven, Dr John Holliday, Rou Worsley, Margaret Worsley, and Freddie Arnold.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

 

Object Details

Other Number: not specified
Normal Location: Computer file: Desktop/Digital Documents
Current Location: normal location

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *