Object Type: map

1 2 3 27

2021.50.7

Digitised outline copy of the Plan of Kenvar and Gortandonel, Tyree, as divided by George Langlands, 11th August 1802. The township is divided into 16 crofts (no acreages given) laid out in an irregular grid pattern around the North and East shores of Loch Phuil. Separate areas of common pasture are shown for crofts 1-2, and crofts 7-16. The irregular line of the old march dike is shown.

Gortandonel is found spelled elsewhere as ‘Gortendonuil’, and is part of Barrapol.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2021.50.6

Digitised outline copy of the Plan of Scarinish and Hianish, Tyree, as divided by George Langlands, 1802. Hianish is divided into 18 crofts of 3-6 acres each, laid out in an irregular grid pattern. Scarinish is divided into 30 crofts of mainly 4-5 acres, with some smaller plots, one of 12 acres and an Inn Croft of 36.2 acres. The site of a proposed village is shown near Scarinish harbour. Common pasture, shared common pasture and areas of blown sand are depicted on both townships. The shared common pasture is noted as being part of Drumdearg Commonty. Total acreages given.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2021.50.5

Digitised outline copy of the Plan of Kenovay, Tyree, as divided by George Langlands, 1802. The township is divided into thirteen plots of 25-39 acres, each with access to a common watering place near/at Lochan Dow. A croft of 5.1 acres for the Reef Keeper is also laid out. The line of a ‘new march dike between the Reef and Kenovay’ and the ‘old march dike’ with Cornaigbeg Lands are also depicted.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2021.50.4

Digitised outline copy of the Plan of Ballimartin, Tyree, as divided into crofts by George Langlands, 1802. The township is divided into 38 crofts of 4-5 acres each, laid out in a grid pattern, with two areas of common cow pasture and one area of common horse pasture. Total acreages given. The location of a burial place is shown near the march with Ballino Lands.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2021.50.3

Digitised copy of a map of Tiree showing townships and numbers of tenants in 1848. The map appears to show all townships, but not all have tenant numbers attached. Geographical features are also named (bays, lochs, harbours, moss, ‘the reef or great green plan’).

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2021.50.2

Digitised copy of a marine and landscape map of Tiree. The landscape is depicted in detail, including crofts, field boundaries, schools, churches, mills, shops, smithies, fanks, quarries, stores, kelp sheds, Middleton Chemical Works, ruins, standing stones, pasture, blown sand, raised beaches. No surveyor is listed.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2021.50.1

Digitised copy of James Turnbull’s Survey of Tiree, titled ‘Plan of the Island of Tiree in Argyleshire the Property of His Grace The Duke of Argyll. Surveyed and Plan’d Anno 1768/9 by James Turnbull’. The map depicts the Tiree landscape before the modern crofting landscape was created in the nineteenth century, showing clusters of large farming townships separated by rigs of infield and outfield cultivation, common grazing, ‘old danish forts’ and other antiquities.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

1 2 3 27