The Scarinish ferryboat in the late 19th or early 20th centuries
Photograph of the ferryboat approaching the steamer off Scarinish in the late 19th or early 20th centuries.
Courtesy of Mrs Mary Cameron
Before Gott Bay pier was completed in 1913, passengers, livestock and cargo had to be ferried by rowboat between Scarinish harbour and the steamer anchored offshore in deeper water, a somewhat hazardous journey in bad weather.
This photograph of the tender approaching the steamer was taken on a calm day in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. The service was operated for many years by Archibald MacKinnon (Èardsaidh ’ic Eòghainn) without serious accident.
The substantial building in the centre background is the store at Scarinish; the one on the left is the school. Between the two lay the Reading Room, now An Iodhlann, where passengers awaited the arrival of the steamer.
Black and white photograph of the tender heading for the steamer in Gott Bay.
The tender heading for the steamer in Gott Bay before the pier was built in 1913.