Tag Archives: boats and water travel

1 2 3 70


Digitised copy of a letter from Hugh MacDiarmid (factor to the Duke of Argyll) to A M Cunynghame Esq., Surveyor General, General Post Office, Edinburgh, dated 25 May 1891.

The letter discusses the best route for conveying the mail and a proposed route through Oban, Tobermory, Coll, Tiree and Mull, including Bunessan and Pennyghael. The letter also mentions: transport links, particularly trains and boats, including arrival and departure times; a comparison of population sizes in Tiree, Coll and Bunessan; the need to consult the Duke of Argyll on the matter; the speed of mail delivery and that it it was previously possible to get to and from Glasgow and Edinburgh in one day.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.


Digitised copy letter regarding erecting a pier at Gott Bay, undated (c.1880s). The letter outlines the troubles with constructing a pier at Gott bay, due to the force of the wind and waves particularly during the winter, as well as the high cost of estimates for the work (between £7,000 and £13,360) as well as the cost of maintenance. The writer refers to the reluctance of engineers to undertake the project, and also mentions the Report of the late Western Highlands and Islands Commission. The writer also refers to a recent accident involving a boat being upset in Gott Bay while attending on a steamer. Neither the recipient or writer is identified.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.



Digitised copy of Cash disbursed by James Turnbull, land surveyor, whilst going to the isle of Tiree, 1768-1769. Contains an itemised list of expenses for Turnbull’s journey from the Grassmarket in Edinburgh to Tiree, and his return journey.

Click to read a transcript of this item.

Click to view a record for this item on Inveraray’s online catalogue.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.



Hardback book ‘Scottish Sail – a forgotten era’ by Robert Simper, 1974. A photographic account of Scottish sailing ships that travelled domestic and world trade routes at the turn of the 19th century. The topsail schooner Mary Stewart is mentioned on page 35. The remains of her hull can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.


Two handwritten letters dated 13th & 15th April 1906, sent by Elizabeth Ross to her mother, on the occasion of the family relocating from Edinburgh to Tiree, where her father, John Ross (1846-1925), was taking up the position of schoolmaster at Cornaigmore. The letters are written on the shipping company’s headed paper, and provide an insight into the logistics of moving to Tiree at that time.


Newsletter `An Tirisdeach`, No. 451, 25/09/2009

Local news: Skerryvore perform in China and win A&B’s Young Entrepeneur of the Year; Alan Reid MP visits Tiree; An Iodhlann’s ‘Sheaves from the Stackyard’ – Tiree at war; Lunch Club remembers 1930s Tiree; new social worker for Tigh a’ Rudha; report of Strathclyde fire chief’s visit; policing Tiree Wave Classic; Tiree-Islay exchange; report of SWRI meeting; forthcoming visit by Tobermory lifeboat; school news – fundraising for Mod trip, healthy eating week, new rugby club; letters to the editor – damage to machair at Caoles; volunteers needed for Meals on Wheels; community Powerdown project – solar hot water; poem about wind power by Nik Rawson; sheep sale results; forthcoming boat restoration course.


Tiree Memories calendar 2018, produced by Alec Walker, Edinburgh. Photographs include the ‘Mary Stewart’ in Scarinish Harbour ca 1940, Cornaig Mill ca 1935, sheep shearing in Scarinish ca 1935, Balemartine from Cnoc Mor, Christina MacDonald (Curstaidh) at her spinning wheel, the Fever Hospital at Heanish ca 1945, MacDonald’s Store in Scarinish ca 1945, Scarinish from the air ca 1955, Ruaig hay stooks ca 1955, Mona MacDonald outside her shop in Scarinish, the Lodge Hotel ca 1955, Gott pier and ferry ca 1935, Duncan MacLean and his sisters outside The Shepherd’s Cottage in West Hynish ca 1900.

1 2 3 70