James MacIntyre’s shop in Gott
Photograph of the site of James MacIntyre’s shop in Gott taken in 2002.
James MacIntyre (Seumas a’ Ghobhainn) started a shop in his house in Gott around 1937. He sold everything, ‘from a needle to an anchor’, and often bought eggs from his customers at 6d per dozen in exchange for groceries.
He was a very kindly man, and is remembered walking on a drenching evening from his shop to a house in Ruaig with a jar of paraffin because the housewife had run out. He used to tease the children visiting the shop for sweets, saying, “Bhasaich bodach Rowntree!” (Mr Rowntree has died!)
The shop often looked somewhat disorganised to the casual visitor with boxes seemingly everywhere, but his wife was a shrewd businesswoman and knew exactly where everything was. James also operated a van (or rather a converted car), selling goods around the island.
Colour photograph of the site of James MacIntyre`s shop in Gott taken in 2002.
The house in Gott once owned by James MacIntyre who ran a shop there, photographed by John Holliday in 2002.