Kincardine School in 1897
Photograph of School Section 11 in Kincardine Township, Ontario in 1897.
Courtesy of Mr Archie MacKinnon
This photograph of 1897 shows the sons and daughters of pioneers from Tiree in School Section 11 of Kincardine Township, Ontario. The wooden school behind them was built in 1871 on land donated by Archibald MacKinnon.
Archibald’s parents, Fingon MacKinnon and his wife Christena MacLean, emigrated from Salum to Canada in 1851 with their seven sons then aged between five and nineteen. Fingon first worked as a labourer in Brock Township where the youngest son died of typhoid in 1854. The family then moved to Kincardine Township and settled on Lot 29 Concession 11. Fingon died there in 1859.
By 1861 the family had cleared sixty of their hundred acres. Their crops included spring wheat, oats, potatoes and turnips and, as well as two oxen, they had three steers or heifers, four milk cows and seven pigs. They continued the Tiree tradition of combining farming and other trades, e.g. carpentry.
Printout of a black and white photograph of Kincardine township school in 1897.
The sons and daughters of Tiree pioneers at Kincardine Township school in 1897. The school was built on land donated by Archibald MacKinnon originally from Salum.