Black and white postcard of Macolm MacIntyre in 1916.
Blacksmith Malcolm MacIntyre of Gott with his dog sitting on the Ringing Stone in 1916.
Courtesy of Ms Mary MacKinnon
Blacksmith Malcolm MacIntyre of Gott is pictured in this old postcard with his dog sitting on the Ringing Stone. Local legend has it that if the stone is struck so hard that it splits in two then Tiree will sink beneath the waves.
Given its name because of the metallic sound it makes when struck, the Ringing Stone has at least 53 cup markings which date from the Bronze Age. The stone was carried to Tiree by a glacier during the last Ice Age and measures 3.4 metres by 2.4 metres and is 1.8 metres high.
Known today in Gaelic as Clach a’ Choire (rock of the hollow), it features in Blaeu’s map of 1654 as Coire Finmackoull showing it had been linked to the Ossianic heroic ballads of the 13th century.