Associated People: MacIntyre, Ms Rosie, Kirkapol (1920 - 2005)


Audio cassette recording of Rosie Macintyre of Scarinish talking to Maggie Campbell on 18/8/2004.

Rosie Macintyre of Scarinish talks to Maggie Campbell in August 2004 about her childhood memories, her mother working as a maid for Lady Victoria Campbell, the cattle show in Scarinish, the walk from Kirkapol to Scarinish School every day, and what the weather was like when she was young.


Black and white postcard of Macolm MacIntyre in 1916.

Blacksmith Malcolm MacIntyre of Gott with his dog sitting on the Ringing Stone in 1916.


Courtesy of Ms Mary MacKinnon

Blacksmith Malcolm MacIntyre of Gott is pictured in this old postcard with his dog sitting on the Ringing Stone. Local legend has it that if the stone is struck so hard that it splits in two then Tiree will sink beneath the waves.

Given its name because of the metallic sound it makes when struck, the Ringing Stone has at least 53 cup markings which date from the Bronze Age. The stone was carried to Tiree by a glacier during the last Ice Age and measures 3.4 metres by 2.4 metres and is 1.8 metres high.

Known today in Gaelic as Clach a’ Choire (rock of the hollow), it features in Blaeu’s map of 1654 as Coire Finmackoull showing it had been linked to the Ossianic heroic ballads of the 13th century.


Audio cassette recording of Rosie MacIntyre of Scarinish talking to Dr John Holliday in September 1998.

Rosie MacIntyre (Ròsaidh Chaluim a’ Ghobhainn) of Scarinish talks to Dr John Holliday about her schooldays at Scarinish School, wartime activities, the Lodge where her mother worked for Lady Victoria Campbell, how Lady Victoria helped the island by getting a district nurse, starting a Women’s Guild, and setting up woodwork, sewing and knitting classes; she also talks the genealogy of people from Gott and Kirkapol.


The staff at Taigh a’ Rudha in the 1980s

Photograph of the staff at Taigh a’ Rudha in the mid-1980s.


Courtesy of Ms Babs MacIntyre

Taigh a’ Rudha, the Eventide Home in Scarinish, was opened in November 1968. It consists of the former manse for the United Free Church at Kirkapol and purpose-built accommodation for twelve residents.

This photograph shows the staff of Taigh a’ Ruadh in the kitchen in the mid-1980s. They are, from left to right, Cathy MacNeill, Elspeth Gilles, cook Rosie MacIntyre, Rena Goldie, Ishbel MacArthur, Officer in Charge Barbara MacDonald, Vickie MacLean and Flora MacArthur.

Today the kitchen provides Meals on Wheels to elderly people in the community and also lunches three days a week for the Day Centre in Crossapol.

Colour photograph of the staff at Taigh a Ruadh in the mid-1980s.

The staff at Taigh a` Ruadh in the mid-1980s. L-R: Cathy MacNeill, Scarinish; Elspeth Gilles, Scarinish; Rosie MacIntyre, Scarinish; Rena Goldie, Balinoe; Ishbel MacArthur, Barrapol; Barbara MacDonald, in charge of Taigh a` Ruadh; Vicky MacLean, Kenovay; Flora MacArthur, Moss.


Black and white photograph of Hughina MacLean, Mary MacEachern and Rosie MacIntyre during WWII.

L-R: Hughina MacLean (Ann Langley`s mother), Mary MacEachern (daughter of Archie MacEachern, the blacksmith at Cornaigbeg, and Catherine MacLean from the Brae, Cornaigbeg), Rosie MacIntyre (daughter of Malcolm and Anne MacIntyre) with RAF airmen at Gott during World War II..