The crew of the ‘Baron Polwarth’
Photograph of the crew of the ‘Baron Polwarth’ in 1916.
Courtesy of Mr Lachie MacDonald
The ‘Baron Polwarth’ was a tramp steamer that plied its trade around the British coasts and European ports. Owned by the tramp ship company Hugh Hogarth & Sons, which later became the Baron Line, the ships were recognisable by their buff and black funnels.
The owners had a reputation for being overly economical when feeding their crews. As a result, the line was nicknamed the ‘Hungry Hogarths’. The crew of the ‘Baron Polwarth’ included several sailors from Tiree.
One of them, Dougall Lamont, son of Archie Lamont of Cornaigmore, died as a result of an accident on board in January 1916. His remains were brought home to Tiree and interred in Kirkapol cemetery. His fellow crew members clubbed together and bought a marble book which was placed on his grave.
Black and white photograph of the crew of the `Baron Polwarth`, Ardrossan in 1916.
Crew of the Baron Polwarth, Ardrossan, 1916. L-R: (back row) Charlie MacDonald, Ruaig, uncle to Mary Flora MacKinnon, Balephetrish and Margaret MacInnes, Ruaig; John MacKinnon, Balephetrish, uncle to Ian MacKinnon (Iain Aonghais), ‘Lochview’, Kilmoluaig; Charles MacDonald, uncle to Lachie MacDonald, Middleton; John MacArthur, father of John MacArthur, Middleton Farm; (middle row) Hugh Cameron; Walter MacDonald, Moss, uncle to Johann MacKinnon, Barrapol and Neil Brownlie; unknown; (front row) unknown; unknown.