Cornaig Post Office
Photograph of the post office at Cornaigmore.
Courtesy of Mr Hector MacPhail
The sub-post office at Cornaigmore was opened in 1896. The GPO brought in a telegraph line in the 1920s and installed a telephone in the nearby school when the Met Office opened a weather station there.
After the death of the postmaster in the mid-1950s, the office moved to Balevullin for some twenty-five years. It was re-opened on the original site in Cornaig in 1972 along with a general store and a popular restaurant called the Cèilidh Café. Two years later, they were all destroyed by fire.
In 1979 the post office was re-opened in Kilmoluaig. The Cornaig buildings were renovated in the 1980s as a single dwelling which for a few years also housed the Gaelic Playgroup. It was bought by the local council in the 1990s and converted into two council houses.
Black and white postcard of Cornaigmore Post Office.
Cornaigmore Post Office, probably between the World Wars.