Tag Archives: crofting

1 2 3 5

2021.54.91

Transcript of Inventory of Precognition submitted to Tobermory Procurator Fiscal investigating the death of three cows and two horses at Cornaigmore, in June 1876. The transcript contains medical reports written by Alexander Buchanan into the death of the two horses. The animals may have been poisoned by strychnine.

The transcript contains notes on the rent paid by John Macphail, the value of his stock on the farm and some remarks on stock management.

Statements are provided by:

John Macphail (crofter, Cornaigmore)
Janet MacLean (servant to John MacPhail, Cornaigmore)
John Macphail (tailor, Cornaigmore)
John Campbell (tailor, Cornaigmore)
Malcolm Lamont (labourer, Cornaigmore)
Neil Lamont (tenant on the farm of Cornaigmore)
Malcolm Lamont (servant to John MacPhail, Cornaigmore)
Lachlan Macphail (crofter, Cornaigmore)
Hugh MacDiarmid (factor for Tiree, Island House)
Alexander Buchanan (surgeon, Baugh)
Allan Cameron (Inspector of Police, Tobermory)
Hector Macphail (crofter, Cornaigmore)
Ann Macphail (widow, Cornaigmore)
Flora Macphail (daughter of Ann Macphail, Cornaigmore)
John MacDougall (Police Officer, Baugh)

Click to read a transcript of this item.

From the liveArgyll Archives in Lochgilphead, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

 

 

2021.52.1

A digitised copy of a volume containing accounts and rentals for Tiree’s crofts from 1845 to 1887. The volume was prepared by Messrs Lindsay, Howe & Co.

For each township there is given: a table with figures for sowning (horses, cows, stirks, and sheep) and acreage (arable, pasture, common); a tabular abstract containing the number of holdings and tenants, total rents, improvement outlay (drainage and buildings) and notes; a ‘detailed history of crofts’ providing an overview of changes which the individual holdings in each township have undergone as regards tenancy, rent, consolidation, enlargement, or otherwise.

There is no data provided in the tabular abstract for the years 1846, 1866 and 1867.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2021.50.7

Digitised outline copy of the Plan of Kenvar and Gortandonel, Tyree, as divided by George Langlands, 11th August 1802. The township is divided into 16 crofts (no acreages given) laid out in an irregular grid pattern around the North and East shores of Loch Phuil. Separate areas of common pasture are shown for crofts 1-2, and crofts 7-16. The irregular line of the old march dike is shown.

Gortandonel is found spelled elsewhere as ‘Gortendonuil’, and is part of Barrapol.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2021.50.6

Digitised outline copy of the Plan of Scarinish and Hianish, Tyree, as divided by George Langlands, 1802. Hianish is divided into 18 crofts of 3-6 acres each, laid out in an irregular grid pattern. Scarinish is divided into 30 crofts of mainly 4-5 acres, with some smaller plots, one of 12 acres and an Inn Croft of 36.2 acres. The site of a proposed village is shown near Scarinish harbour. Common pasture, shared common pasture and areas of blown sand are depicted on both townships. The shared common pasture is noted as being part of Drumdearg Commonty. Total acreages given.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2021.50.5

Digitised outline copy of the Plan of Kenovay, Tyree, as divided by George Langlands, 1802. The township is divided into thirteen plots of 25-39 acres, each with access to a common watering place near/at Lochan Dow. A croft of 5.1 acres for the Reef Keeper is also laid out. The line of a ‘new march dike between the Reef and Kenovay’ and the ‘old march dike’ with Cornaigbeg Lands are also depicted.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2021.50.4

Digitised outline copy of the Plan of Ballimartin, Tyree, as divided into crofts by George Langlands, 1802. The township is divided into 38 crofts of 4-5 acres each, laid out in a grid pattern, with two areas of common cow pasture and one area of common horse pasture. Total acreages given. The location of a burial place is shown near the march with Ballino Lands.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2020.64.1

Softback book ‘The Secret Island – towards a history of Tiree’, 2014. Published proceedings of a three-day conference held on Tiree by the Islands Book Trust in September 2013, with chapters by many authors on a wide variety of aspects of Tiree’s history and culture.

Click here to view contents

1 2 3 5