Transcript of an Execution of Deforcement by Alexander Macdonald (Sheriff Officer) on 1 August 1855 at the instance George Douglas Campbell, Duke of Argyll. The transcript contains details of attempts to evict of Duncan MacFee, his wife Ann MacLean or MacFee and their children from ther home in Kentra (Kintra) in Mull. An inventory of the goods and gear belonging to MacFee and MacLean, which includes ‘one Tyree Croggan’, (craggan) is provided.
Statements are provided by Alexander McDonald (Sheriff Officer, Bunessan) and Catherine McLeod or Black (wife of Lachlan Black, Kintra).
Digital copy of Description of Tiree from a book published in 1808. Consists of a handwritten transcription from a book, and includes mentions of: Island House, crops, livestock, caves at Ceanm-harra [Kenavara], the Reef, duns [brochs], St Patrick’s Chapel, the discovery of coins in ‘small earthen vessels’, and the discovery of human and horse skeletons in Cornaigbeg. The document also mentions that the ancient name of Tiree was Riog-Hachd-bar-Fathuim, ‘the Kingdom whose summits are lower than the waves’.
Digitised copy of Instructions for the chamberlain of Tiree, 1753. These instructions were sent from the Duke of Argyll and include: land erosion, the windmill at Scarinish, cutting of peats, employment of ditchers, Lachlan McLean’s rent of the farm at Ruaig, waterfowls, crogans or clay dishes, conversion of rents to a forehand silver rent. There is no transcript for this item.
Click to view a record for this item on Inveraray’s online catalogue.
From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.
Notes titled ‘A Tyrannical and Tiresome Tirade on Tiree by a Tired Retiree’ on the Medieval history and archaeology of Tiree by David Caldwell, casting doubt on the popular view that Tiree (along with Mull and Islay) was ruled by Somerled and his descendents to the exclusion of the dynasty of kings. David Caldwell, retired Keeper of Medieval Department at the National Museum of Scotland, gave a talk on the subject during a visit to Tiree in April 2016.
Large craggan made on Tiree in about 1870, bearing a handwritten label from the period.
The label reads “Croggan from Tyree 1879. Specimen of native pottery. The peculiar nature of the c[roggen] is suposed to render the milk boiled in it condusive to the cure of consumption. Presented by Rev. William Ross, October“.
William Ross was one of the founder members of the Archaeological and Physical Society of Bute, a group of Victorian gentlemen who put together a collection of objects and natural history specimens from around the world, thus forming the first Bute Museum. When the museum moved premises in 1907 it was decided that the collection would concentrate on Bute alone, and the non-Bute items were distributed. This Tiree craggan remained in the Bute Museum until it was given to An Iodhlann in April 2016. Includes a handwritten display label from the Bute Museum.