Digitised copy of State of expense of Tiree mills, 1806. Contains details of the expenses of erecting two mills (one for oat and barley and the other for lint), for erecting machinery for a hind mill, and other expenses relating to the building of these mills. There is no transcript for this item.
Click to view a record for this item on Inveraray’s online catalogue.
From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.
Digitised copy of Instructions for the chamberlain of Tiree, 1758. These instructions were sent from the Duke of Argyll and include: employing ditchers, cutting peat, building works at the Duke’s house in Tiree, payment of rents, building a harbour in Tiree.
Scanned copy of a ‘Permit to Enter a Protected Area’ issued by the Military Permit Office, Edinburgh, in 1942, belonging to Hugh McColl who came to Tiree to work on the construction of buildings on the RAF airfield during World War 2.
Hugh McColl worked for The Glasgow Steel Roofing Company and was responsible for bringing men and materials over to construct the buildings on the airfield for the RAF. His work had it’s challenges, including battling with the weather right through the summer of 1942. The men were only paid when they worked, and he recorded on the time sheets for August that their hours varied because “… some men refused to work at times owing to the weather…”. They worked on Tiree from June to October.
Hugh appeared to enjoyed himself more than the men. He stayed with the Omand family at Balemartine School House and recalls having a great time fishing, harvesting and calling at the airport picture house, which was in a Nissen hut.
Colour photograph showing the car deck of the Lord of the Isles ferry at Gott Bay pier in June 1992. In the foreground is the lift on which vehicles were taken on board. In the background is the roll-on roll-off pier extension under construction. (Original stored in filing cabinet 10 drawer 1)
Collection of five colour photographs showing the Lord of the Isles ferry and construction of the roll-on roll-off jetty at Gott Bay pier in 1992. One photo is digitised and accessioned separately: 2015.33.5.