Digital copy of Description of Tiree from a book published in 1808. Consists of a handwritten transcription from a book, and includes mentions of: Island House, crops, livestock, caves at Ceanm-harra [Kenavara], the Reef, duns [brochs], St Patrick’s Chapel, the discovery of coins in ‘small earthen vessels’, and the discovery of human and horse skeletons in Cornaigbeg. The document also mentions that the ancient name of Tiree was Riog-Hachd-bar-Fathuim, ‘the Kingdom whose summits are lower than the waves’.
Click to view a transcript of this item.
Click to view a record for this item on Inveraray’s online catalogue.
From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.