Whole coconut found on the shore at Hynish by Alec Hector MacDonald in winter 2009/2010 and given to John Bowler. Coconuts drift up the Gulf Stream from the Caribbean and occasionally wash up on Tiree`s shores after westerly gales.
Photograph of the Decca Hifix radio camp at West Hynish in 1966.
Black & white photograph of the temporary Decca Hifix radio camp at West Hynish in July 1966, on the left of the picture (on the site that is now Agrimarine`s gravel quarry). The thatched house and barns of the last croft on the road are on the right with stooks in the field. Skerryvore lighthouse is just visible on the horizon.
Photograph of the Decca Hifix radio mast and camp at West Hynish in 1966
Black & white photograph of the temporary Decca Hifix radio mast and camp at West Hynish in 1966. The radio was one of three used to accurately locate a Royal Navy survey vessel `HMS Mermaid` that was mapping the topography of the seabed in the shipping lanes between Scotland and Ireland. The other two radios were located at Malin Head and Islay. (For further details see 2012.125.5 filing cabinet 9 drawer 4)
Pewter tankard awarded in 1884
Pewter tankard inscribed “10th LRV Sports 1884 Tug-o-War won by N. McIntyre”. Found on a beach on Tiree and given to the donor`s mother around 1980. N. McIntyre may have been Neil McIntyre, Balevullin/Kilkenneth (b. ca. 1840), the donor`s gt-gt-gt-gt-grandfather`s brother (see 2012.116.2).
Child`s toy made of the iron heel of a hob-nailed boot, twisted string and short length of wood. Known as a `Peter-dum-dick` and possibly used as a catapult or for making clacking noises. Presented to Alan Boyd by Hugh MacLean, Barrapol, around 1985.
Receipt from Calum Salum`s shop in Ruaig, 1966
Original receipt from Malcom MacLean General Merchant, Ruaig (Calum Salum`s shop), to Mrs Kirsty Laird, Edinburgh, for a refrigerator and fittings, and Calor gas. Dated 28th Oct. 1966.