Associated People: MacFadyen, Mr James, Scarinish (1845 - 1929)


Transcript of a Police Report submitted to Tobermory Procurator Fiscal by John MacDougall (Constable) regarding the loss of the smack Mary and Catherine of Tyree, on 3 September 1873. The Mary and Catherine was owned by James MacFadyen (Scarinish) and was wrecked at Freslan (possibly Friesland) near Arinagour in the Isle of Coll while coming from Ardnamurchan with sheep belonging to Thomas Barr (farmer, Balephetrish) and John Paterson (shepherd, Tiree).

Click to read a transcript of this item.

From the liveArgyll Archives in Lochgilphead, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.


Photograph of members of the MacFadyen family of Scarinish at a garden party ca. 1924

Sepia photograph of three men and a girl wearing party hats at a dining table at Middleton around 1924. L-R: Charles MacFadyen (1847-1930), Hamilton ?, James MacFadyen (1845-1929), “myself”?. James was the son of Allan & Amelia MacFadyen who ran the Scarinish Inn.