Colour postcard photograph of four dipping lug-sail boats racing off Scarinish during a Tiree Regatta in around 1990.
Top half of a page from The Illustrated London News, Sept. 11, 1886, showing two engraving plates of scenes from Tiree, one looking west across Gott Bay from Ruaig(?), and the other of a tug of war in Scarinish(?) between sailors and marines who came to quell the ‘land agitation‘ on Tiree.
Original handwritten letter dated 1911 from Kenneth MacKenzie, Scarinish, to J P Milligan Esq of J & F J Martin, lawyers, Edinburgh, regarding a trusteeship and financial situation with a Dundee property.
Click here to view 2020.63.5
Scanned copy of a newspaper obituary for Captain Allan Campbell (b. ca 1900), Scarinish, in around 1980. Allan Campbell was a deep-sea mariner all his life, including serving in the Merchant Navy during WWII.
Click here to view 2020.52.6
Scanned copy of a certificate of qualification belonging to Niall Colin Brown Campbell, Scarinish (b.1933), dated 1964, issued by the Canadian Department of Transport enabling him to pilot ships on the Great Lakes of Ontario and Erie in Canada. Before moving to Glasgow and then Canada, Niall lived at Deobedal, Scarinish.
Scanned copy of a certificate of an apprentice’s indenture belonging to Niall Colin Brown Campbell, Scarinish (b.1933), dated 1949. His mother, Margaret Campbell, signed her consent to the apprenticeship. They lived at Deobedal, Scarinish. Niall served his apprenticeship with H Hogarth & Sons, Shipowners, Glasgow, until 1953. The reverse side of the document includes the names of the ships Niall served on and his pay. Niall signed his name C Campbell suggesting that he was known as Colin Campbell.
Click here to view 2020.52.2
Hand-drawn plan of the proposed location of the new Cooperative building within Scarinish in 1950. Includes the location of the site of the burned out original store, a petrol pump at the roadside in front of the shop, the layout of a proposed bypass road to the north, and the Temperance Hotel. Drawn by J. McA. for SCWS Ltd, Architectural Dept., Glasgow.