Township: scarinish

1 2 3 70

2017.4.2

Photocopy of a typed transcript of an interview with Hector MacPhail, Cornaigbeg, on 19 May 1992, about himself, boats, sea transport and sailors, with particular reference to Allan MacFadyen, Scarinish, and ships the Mary Stewart and the Mary & Effie. Topics also include alchohol taxation, violence, Clearances, landowners, hotels, Crofters’ War, coal puffers. The interviewer is given only as ‘Smith’.

2016.58.4

Page from the Official Log Book and Account of Voyages and Crew of the Mary Stewart, 1916, giving the owner and master as Donald MacLean, Scarinish (b.1860). Ports visited during the half-year 22 July 1915 to 27th November 1915 are Ayr, Tiree, Ardrossan and Colonsay.  The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.

2016-58-4-pic

Click here to view 2016.58.4

2016.58.3

Page from the official log book of the Mary Stewart, 1915, listing the crew as Master Donald MacLean (b.1860) and crew John MacLean (b.1885), Hugh MacLean (b.1891) and Neil MacLean (b.1898), all of Tiree. They joined the ship in 1914 and were discharged at Ayr in 1915. The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.

2016-58-3-pic

Click here to view 2016.58.3

2016.58.1

Colour photograph of a painting of the ‘Mary Stewart’ in full sail. The original painting is in the family of David Roberts (1849-1897), a native of  Anglesey, who was the master on the Mary Stewart, and possibly part owner, from about 1886 to 1897. The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.

w185

2016.56.3

Colour photograph of a green double-decker bus at the pier-head car park in around 1975. On the side of the bus are the words ‘London Country’, plus a long Caledonian MacBrayne banner printed with the names of many west-coast islands including Tiree, and there are several items of laundry hanging in the windows suggesting that this is a long-distance tour bus. The old ticket office is visible on the left, and note the lack of buildings in the background on the right.

w180

2016.54.16

Hand-drawn map of Tiree showing the locations of 15 aerial photographs taken around the island in 1998 (see 2016.54.1~15). Areas covered are: Kirkapol, Vaul, Ruaig, Cornaigmore, Cornaigbeg, Kenovay, Balephetrish, Caoles, Salum, Kennavara, Hough, Balevullin, Middleton, Kilkenneth, Moss, Baugh, Balemartine, Balinoe, Scarinish, Heanish and Hynish.

Click here to view 2016.54.16

1 2 3 70