Pair of black-coated steel bicycle clips from Malcolm MacLean’s (Calum Salum) shop in Salum.
Tall, floor-standing gas lamp belonging to Calum MacLean, Salum. It stood in his shop at Salum in the 1950s, and was the first gas light on the island.
The Scots Magazine, June 1965, with an article about Tiree and its people ‘Island of Prosperous Crofters’ by Campbell K Finlay. Includes photographs of Scarinish Harbour: A D Brown, Tobermory (merchant to Tiree); Margaret Brown, Vaul; Malcolm M MacLean, Salum; A H MacPhail, Clachan; A G H Bruton, Lodge Hotel; Travee; coastal cliffs; croft house, Scarinish; Parkhouse, Balephetrish; L J MacFadyen, Kenovay; J L MacInnes, Salum; W MacPhee, gamekeeper; Balephetrish road. Also mentioned in text: Walter Hume, the Reef & An Fhaodhail, primary schools, boarded-out children, island house, sheep, bulb-growing, cottars, income, crofters’ war, snipe shooting, tourism, fishing.
Click here to view 2018.78.1
Hand-drawn map of Tiree showing the locations of 15 aerial photographs taken around the island in 1998 (see 2016.54.1~15). Areas covered are: Kirkapol, Vaul, Ruaig, Cornaigmore, Cornaigbeg, Kenovay, Balephetrish, Caoles, Salum, Kennavara, Hough, Balevullin, Middleton, Kilkenneth, Moss, Baugh, Balemartine, Balinoe, Scarinish, Heanish and Hynish.
Click here to view 2016.54.16
Large, black & white aerial photograph from a series of 15 taken over Tiree in 1998. Photo number: 4-025 Caolas, Ruaig, Salum.
Magazine booklet `Gairm`no. 15, 1956
Booklet of news from the Gaelic-speaking world, including and article on Tiree (pg 270-275). Includes photographs of the mill at Cornaigmore, calves on a beach, Calum MacLean (Calum Salum) and his mother Kirsty Munn (Ciorstaidh Mhunn), Salum, and one of a boat at the Scarinish regatta containing Donald Archie Cameron.
Copied pages from the 1792 census of Tiree
Printed photographs of a selection of pages from the original 1792 census of Tiree people held in the archives of Inveraray Castle, including total numbers of inhabitants for each township and lists of inhabitants’ names for Caoles, Salum, Kirkapol and Ruaig. “Total inhabitants [in Tiree] 1881; increase 583” since 1779 census. Subsection “Caoles-Ardeas” photographed during a visit to Inveraray by Glenda Franklin in 2013 (probably contains duplicates). Digital copies stored on An Iodhlann computer.