Metal and cotton candle extinguisher from Ruaig, ca 1930-1950.
Brass spare parts, spare wicks and mantles, a spare vapouriser and a brass filling funnel for a Tilley lamp from Ruaig, 1925-1950.
Brass Tilley lamp from Ruaig, used in around 1925-1950. Similar to 2002.73.1 but complete with wick, mantle and glass globe. Tilley lamps were named after John Tilley, inventor of the hydro-pneumatic blowpipe in the early 1800s. Domestic Tilley lamps were fuelled with paraffin, which was pressurised by use of a pump on the base.
Softback book ‘Seòl mo Bheatha – Turas eadar Croit is Eilean is Oilthigh‘ by Dòmhnall Eachann Meek, 2019. Autobiography in Gaelic of Donald Meek’s life on croft, island and university, from his birth in 1949 to the present day. Donald was brought up at ‘Coll View’, Caoles. Signed by Donald to An Iodhlann.
Music CD ‘This is how the ladies dance’ by Eabhal with Jamie MacDonald, Ruaig.
Small box of 14 photographic slides of colour images of Tiree (2 of Iona): Ruaig PO, ferry, Heron plane, puffer at Scarinish Harbour, landscapes.
Black and white photograph of Peter MacLeod, Ruaig (b. 1933), with his wheelbarrow in the garden at the rear of Ruaig Schoolhouse in 1935/36. The building in the background is the Ruaig Congregationalist Chapel, now a private house.
Peter MacLeod was born in Ruaig School house in 1933. His mother, Christina MacLeod (nee MacKinnon), was appointed teacher at Ruaig School about 1922/1923 after completing her training at Jordanhill College. His father, Robert MacLeod, was appointed Headmaster of Ruaig School in 1927/28, and they were married in 1930. Christina had a lifelong interest in gardening, and Peter was given the wheelbarrow to help his mother in the garden.