Large, carved, wooden lamp-shade made in the 1960s by Hugh MacDonald, Kenovay, for the Church of Scotland at Kirkapol. It was installed above the pulpit when electricity first became available on the island.
Photocopied extract ‘Island of Tiree’ from the report of the excursion of the Cambrian Archaeological Association to the Western Islands of Scotland, Orkney and Caithness in June 1899. Includes geographical and historical descriptions of the island and detailed observations of archaeological sites at Soroby, Kilbride, Ardchain, Kirkapoll, Kilchennich and Kilmoluag, plus mention of Gunna Islet.
Tiree Memories calendar 2018, produced by Alec Walker, Edinburgh. Photographs include the ‘Mary Stewart’ in Scarinish Harbour ca 1940, Cornaig Mill ca 1935, sheep shearing in Scarinish ca 1935, Balemartine from Cnoc Mor, Christina MacDonald (Curstaidh) at her spinning wheel, the Fever Hospital at Heanish ca 1945, MacDonald’s Store in Scarinish ca 1945, Scarinish from the air ca 1955, Ruaig hay stooks ca 1955, Mona MacDonald outside her shop in Scarinish, the Lodge Hotel ca 1955, Gott pier and ferry ca 1935, Duncan MacLean and his sisters outside The Shepherd’s Cottage in West Hynish ca 1900.
Photocopied pages from the annals of the Celtic Society, 1836, in which Rev Neil MacLean, minister on Tiree, reports to George Farquharson, Secretary to the Celtic Society in Edinburgh, the results of the Celtic Society competition for school children on Tiree and Coll. Prize books were awarded for proficiency in arithmetic, writing, english and gaelic. The winning scholars on Tiree attended Kirkapol School – Malcolm MacDougall, Archibald MacKinnon, Donald MacLean, Donald Clarke and Ann MacKinnon; Heylipol School – Allan Campbell, Robert MacFarlane, Flora MacDougall, Christina MacLean, Donald MacIntyre and Catherine Campbell; Hynish School – Allan MacDonald and Hugh MacKinnon. The scholars’ fathers’ names are also listed.
Click here to view 2019.7.1
Report by Ann MacSween on the fragments of hand-made pottery found during excavation of Cnoc an Fhiommheir / Giant’s Grave at Lodge Farm, Kirkapol, in 2017.
Click here to view 2018.99.7
Collection of 12 assorted invoices and receipts belonging to the Tiree Agricultural Society and Show Committee, 1984-1990. Includes those from Tiree Hall Committee, Archibald Brown & Son Merchants, Balemartine & Crossapol, Sruthan Stores, Crossapol, Andrew Irvine & Sons, Tighnabruaich, Balephetrish Guest House and the Lodge Hotel.
Three detailed diaries of Neil MacPhail, Registrar at Kirkapol during 1897-1924. The diaries cover the periods 1897-1900, 1911-1926, 1920-1923. Entries include the weather, maintenance around the croft, sowing, harvests, cattle breeding, deaths, purchases and payments. Neil was awarded an MBE in 1979 for his services as a Registrar.
Tiree Parish Newsletter for the year ending December 1966, by the Rev W J MacLeod, with news about the church buildings and activities, and Kirk Session financial statement.
Click here to view 2018.96.1
Clear plastic garment bag from Hebridean Knitwear, decorated with a map of the Hebrides. A small knitwear factory operated on Tiree from 1969 to 1984, first at Kirkapol and then at Crossapol.