1930s binoculars given to Archie MacLeod, Carrachan, Kilmoluaig, by one of the officers of the destroyer HMS Sturdy, which was wrecked on rocks at Sandaig in 1940. Archie (Erchie Charrachain) was home on leave from Gourock where he was skipper on one of the troop tenders based there during WWII. He was present at Sandaig during the rescue and carried ashore on his shoulders one of the Sturdy’s navigating officers who, in a show of gratitude, placed the binoculars around Archie’s neck. Archie’s son, also Archie (Gilleasbuig Carrachan), played with the binoculars as a boy. The binoculars remained in Carrachan until they were passed on to An Iodhlann in 2019.
Includes handwritten history of the binoculars by Gilleasbuig MacLeod.
Photocopied extract ‘Island of Tiree’ from the report of the excursion of the Cambrian Archaeological Association to the Western Islands of Scotland, Orkney and Caithness in June 1899. Includes geographical and historical descriptions of the island and detailed observations of archaeological sites at Soroby, Kilbride, Ardchain, Kirkapoll, Kilchennich and Kilmoluag, plus mention of Gunna Islet.
Black & white photograph of black-roofed houses at The Green, Kilmoluaig, with the wreck of the SS Ingrid on the rocks in the background. SS Ingrid was a Norwegian steamship, which struck rocks off The Green in January 1942 enroute from the Tyne to Hampton Roads and Cuba.