Printed manuscript for a play in Gaelic ‘An Dileab / The Legacy’ about a man who must find a Gaelic-speaking wife in order to inherit a large sum of money. By Mabel MacArthur, Hough, 2017.
Newspaper article about the building of wireless telegraphy stations in Argyll, published in the Edinburgh Evening News, in 1906. The Tiree station was established at the foot of Ben Hough.
Click here to view 2017.18.1
Black and white photograph of Balephuil croft land with Ben Hough in the background from a postcard in the 1940s. Probably taken looking north from the road just north of ‘Manitoba’, Balephuil. The handwriting on the reverse reads “Happy memories of a really wizzard time. May 1946 to May 1947. All my love. Forever yours. Don. May the sun shine always on “Sunny Tiree”. Donald Winn was stationed at RAF Tiree and married Ann MacDonald Kennedy, the daughter of Archie Walker, Moss.
Hand-drawn map of Tiree showing the locations of 15 aerial photographs taken around the island in 1998 (see 2016.54.1~15). Areas covered are: Kirkapol, Vaul, Ruaig, Cornaigmore, Cornaigbeg, Kenovay, Balephetrish, Caoles, Salum, Kennavara, Hough, Balevullin, Middleton, Kilkenneth, Moss, Baugh, Balemartine, Balinoe, Scarinish, Heanish and Hynish.
Click here to view 2016.54.16
Large, black & white aerial photograph from a series of 15 taken over Tiree in 1998. Photo number: 7-003 Hough, Balevullin, Craiginish.
Large, black & white aerial photograph from a series of 15 taken over Tiree in 1998. Photo number: 6-005 Hough, Kilkenneth, Middleton.
Printed spreadsheet of births, marriages and deaths of the Henderson family of Moss, Greenhill, Balephetrish, Hough, Scarinish, Balemartine, Mannal, Kilmoluaig and Vaul, 1806-2002.
Click here to view 2016.47.1
Book ‘Twentieth-Century Crofting Schemes on Tiree and Coll’ by Bob Chambers, 2016, with foreword by Prof. Donald Meek, Caoles. Shortly before and shortly after WWI, over 100 new crofts were created on Tiree and Coll, and almost 40 existing crofts were enlarged. The impact on the islands was enormous, wide-ranging and long-lasting, particularly on Tiree.
Metal dessert spoon engraved with ‘NAAFI’ on the handle and encrusted with dark substance. Found in the ground in a stackyard in Barrapol in 2016, it would originally have been part of the cutlery stock of one of the RAF NAAFIs on Tiree (probably Hough) during WWII, but has since been used for mixing paint/varnish/glue on the croft.