Coloured photograph of two men from Clachan, Cornaig, creel-fishing off the north coast of Tiree, near the Ringing Stone. The photo was found in ‘The Captain’s House’ in Cornaigbeg, and is printed from a hand-painted glass slide.
Softback book ‘Tiree to New Zealand – The extraordinary journey of Euphemia Brown’, by Dianne Dew, 2017. A detailed account of courage, determination and ultimate success of Effie Brown (nee McKellar, b. 1836), who left her home in Cornaigbeg in 1878 with her husband Duncan Brown and seven of their children to establish a farm in the remote Central Otago region of Gimmerburn in New Zealand. Researched and written by Effie’s great-grandaughter.
Iron cruisgean from Sliabh Cottage, Cornaigbeg.
An iron ‘crusie’ lamp that was used to burn fish oil and once belonged to Mrs Mary Campbell, grandmother of the donor. Notes accompanying the cruisgean tell that it came into the possession of the donor in 1996 and was initially offered to the Thatched House Museum in Sandaig. There it was photographed and returned to the donor with some notes suggesting that it was “an early 18th century iron hanging cruise lamp presented by the late Viscountess Gort”, and that “a cruse is a clay container which could be transformed into a lamp by being filled with oil and equipped with a simple wick – a rag would suffice, but a rush was more efficient and minimised the smoke.”
CD of pipe music by Donald Campbell, Cornaigbeg (1954-2016). A collection of bagpipe music performed by Donald Lachlan Cameron Campbell in memory of the man.
Photocopy of a typed transcript of an interview with Hector MacPhail, Cornaigbeg, on 19 May 1992, about himself, boats, sea transport and sailors, with particular reference to Allan MacFadyen, Scarinish, and ships the Mary Stewart and the Mary & Effie. Topics also include alchohol taxation, violence, Clearances, landowners, hotels, Crofters’ War, coal puffers. The interviewer is given only as ‘Smith’.
Hand-drawn map of Tiree showing the locations of 15 aerial photographs taken around the island in 1998 (see 2016.54.1~15). Areas covered are: Kirkapol, Vaul, Ruaig, Cornaigmore, Cornaigbeg, Kenovay, Balephetrish, Caoles, Salum, Kennavara, Hough, Balevullin, Middleton, Kilkenneth, Moss, Baugh, Balemartine, Balinoe, Scarinish, Heanish and Hynish.
Click here to view 2016.54.16
Large, black & white aerial photograph from a series of 15 taken over Tiree in 1998. Photo number: 2-017 Cornaigmore, Conrnaigbeg, Kenovay.
Book ‘Twentieth-Century Crofting Schemes on Tiree and Coll’ by Bob Chambers, 2016, with foreword by Prof. Donald Meek, Caoles. Shortly before and shortly after WWI, over 100 new crofts were created on Tiree and Coll, and almost 40 existing crofts were enlarged. The impact on the islands was enormous, wide-ranging and long-lasting, particularly on Tiree.