Photocopies of four newspaper articles (1926) and online information (2019) about the Fleetwood steam fishing trawler ‘ST Gaul’ that was swamped by a massive wave and wrecked on a submerged reef off Balevullin in 1926. The crew (all Grimsby men) took to a lifeboat but it overturned in the swell, and seven lost their lives. Two managed to reach the shore.
Bronze spring of a Roman brooch (late 1st to 2nd century AD) from a collection of around 200 bronze objects found by amateur archaeologist George Holleyman at Balevullin in 1941-43, when he served at RAF Tiree during WWII. Identified by Dr Fraser Hunter, National Museum of Scotland, in 2019.
Scanned copy of a telegram sent by Captain John Brown (1902-1986), Balevullin, to his parents in Cornaig, after being shipwrecked on Tuskar Rock off the east coast of Ireland in 1927. Includes a page of background information. John Brown was 25 years old at the time and could not swim.
He met his future wife when his ship, the Baron Belhaven, was being repaired in Barry Docks (west of Cardiff) in 1941. A bomb had dropped down the funnel when sailing in convoy out of Liverpool during WW2.
Black & white photograph of Hugh Fullarton, son of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), collecting water from the well on the other side of the bridge from Annie’s house in around 1965. The well was the water supply for the house. It is no longer visible.
Black & white photograph of a daughter and grandson of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), in front of the shed belonging to Neil McNeil, in around 1965. The shed was adjacent to Annie’s house, which is just visible on the left. Annie moved to Greenock when she was young, although her children and grandchildren spent summers in the house until it was sold and demolished in around 2003.
Colour photograph of the house of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), from the east. Annie moved to Greenock when she was young, although her children and grandchildren spent summers in the house until it was sold and demolished in around 2003. The roof was previously black tarred felt, the wriggly tin version being added in around the 1970-80s, along with the bathroom extension on the left.
Collection of 11 photographs (printed from pdf files) of the house and family of Annie Cameron, Balevullin (ca 1880-1965), and information from her grandson emailed in 2018. Three photos are catalogued separately under 2019.32.2 to 2019.32.4.
Click here to view 2019.32.1
Colour photograph of Donald MacLean and Cathie Maclean from Ardbeg, Cornaig, at Balevullin in June 1970.
Coloured photograph of ‘Ploughing at Balevullin, Tiree’’, 1941-43, taken by archaeologist George Holleyman FSA when he was stationed at RAF Tiree during WWII. Scanned from one of his hand-coloured glass lantern slides now held at An Iodhlann (see 2017.54.4).