Bound composition titled ‘A Visit to Coll’ by Catriona Smyth, 2002. Contains photographs of gravestones in the old and new graveyards on Coll, and a transcription of their inscriptions. Names include Lightbody, MacDougall, Ferguson, Fainges, Taylor, MacKinnon, MacCalum, MacFadyen and McPadyen. War graves include a Royal Marine of the ‘Viknor’, Harvey or Gibson of the ‘Racoon’, Pontus of the ‘Arandor Star’, and several unamed sailors of the Merchant Navy.
Commemorative composition about the life and death of John (Ian) Mackinnon, Vaul (1887-1916), by his great-niece Jilly Watson (née Mackinnon Johnstone), Canada, 2017. Includes a photograph and family tree.
Click here to view 2018.10.2
Colour booklet and certificate to accompany the ceramic poppy delivered to An Iodhlann from the Tower of London WWI memorial display in 2014. Includes annotations and two letters from donor Greta Travers dated 2 April and 16 December 2015. Greta was stationed on Tiree as a WAAF during WWII.
A sea mine recently discovered under gravel on the Sandaig shore, is now on display outside An Iodhlann. When a Bomb Disposal Team dug up the mine on the 3rd of August, it was found to be empty of explosive, safe and reasonably intact. We have positioned it so that its innards are visible, as well as the locations of detonation horns and the hole where a time-sensitive self-destruct mechanism was installed. Hundreds of pebbles and shells are fused onto its surface. Tens of thousands of similar mines were laid around the Hebrides and the North Sea during the first and second world wars.
Printed extract from the Tiree Roll of Honour, 1914-1919, regarding Private Hugh Lamont of Balemartine (1897-1917), who was killed in action during WWI.
Photograph of a bronze plaque commemorating Private Hugh Lamont of Balemartine (1897-1917), and inscribed with the words “He died for freedom and honour”.
These round commemorative plaques, measuring about 11.5 cm in diameter, were given to the next of kin of men and women who died in the Great War, WWI, 1914-1918. They were accompanied by a commemorative scroll (see 2009.89.2).