Hynish, the closest land to Skerryvore, was chosen by Alan Stevenson, Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board, as the site of the harbour and work yards. Unfortunately the harbour was prone to such bad swells in the winter that it was unusable and, on an island without a safe harbour, its location rankled.
The traffic at the pier was so great that in 1840 another 11 metres was added to its length of 79 metres. Not only was granite landed from the Ross of Mull before being dressed at Hynish and transported to Skerryvore, ballast was required for the lighters and copious amounts of coal for the steamer and forges.
Because the dock tended to silt up with sand, an ingenious flushing system was devised using water from a small reservoir in a nearby hill. The complex, a heritage site of European importance, has been renovated by the Hebridean Trust.
Aerial photograph of Hynish pier and dock taken by James Gentles in July 2003.
Hynish pier and dock photographed by James Gentles in July 2003 using a remote controlled camera on a kite.
Hector MacPhail of Ruaig tells the story of the first voyage of Iain MacArthur from Roisgeal in Caoles on his uncle’s sailing ship. He was made to turn out in foul weather to change sail and to sew up the bodies of his fellow crew members after a fever had gone round the boat.
Forwarded e-mail from the Northern Lighthouse Board about the Skerryvore Steamer.
Forwarded e-mail from the Information Officer of the Northern Lighthouse Board about the paddle steamer `Skerryvore` which was built in 1839 in connection with the construction of Skerryvore lighthouse.