Large iron spanner. Origin and purpose unknown.
Iron hand-hook used for grabbing and lifting bags of grain when transferring them from the ship’s hold to the winching cradle in Scarinish Harbour.
Glass and metal glue dispenser from around 1930-1960. Possibly used at one of the island’s Post Offices for sticking down envelopes and stamps. The glue would have been dispensed by rolling the wheel along the surface.
Small, round, hand-held voltmeter for testing batteries. Probably used at the airfield during WWII.
Two wooden 30cm / 12″ rulers from Ruaig School.
Wooden needle for repairing fishing nets and creels. Bears the hand-carved initials ‘J. McL’, probably John MacLean, Vaul. Used more recently for stirring tar.
Iron fence-wire tightener
Branding iron for marking livestock, bearing the letter ‘H’. Possibly from Heylipol Farm.
Iron emergency escape axe used by RAF aircrew. The handle was covered in thick rubber to allow cutting of electrical cables, but this has since perished.
Large metal marlin spike for splicing heavy rope. Probably from the Vaul boat-builders.