Tag Archives: tiree


Hand-painted copy of the Turnbull Map 1768 of Tiree, made in 1864

Original, full-sized, exact copy of the Turnbull 1768 map held at Inveraray Castle, hand-painted by cartographer James Ferguson in 1864 at the request of the Duke of Argyll. Kept on Tiree at the Duke`s Factor`s house at Heylipol and then Scarinish. Size 134 x 220 cm. ON PERMANENT LOAN from Argyll Estates.


CD of photographs from Tiree during 1947-1984

CDROM of 23 scanned photographs of scenes and people of Tiree taken by Michael Watson during visits from 1947 to 1984. Most accessioned separately as U155-U176.


Book `The Sea Kingdom – Coll and Tiree` by the Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust, 2003

Small softback marine heritage guide about the history and natural history of Coll and Tiree by the Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust, 2003.


Photograph of the 1768 Turnbull Map

Printed photograph of the original Turnbull Map of Tiree, 1768 held in the archives of Inveraray Castle. Photographed during a visit by Glenda Franklin in 2013. Digital copy stored on An Iodhlann computer.


Account of a visit to Tiree and Coll by Saussure ca 1820

Printed internet book extract concerning Tiree and Coll from `A Voyage to the Hebrides` by Louis Albert Necker-De-Saussure, published in 1821.


CD-ROM of Tiree postcards belonging to Linda Gowans

CD-ROM of photographs of old postcards of Tiree and other Hebridean places donated by Linda Gowans from her personal collection. Tiree photos accessioned individually. Prints of the Tiree postcards are included in the display photofolders and at the back of the George Holleyman collection folder.


Inventory of the George Holleyman collection held at An Iodhlann 2013

Printed list of numbered items in the George Holleyman collection of artefacts, photographs, manuscripts and notebooks, held at An Iodhlann. Copy included at the start of the G Holleyman collection file folder. George Holleyman FSA was an archaeologist who was stationed at RAF Tiree during WWII. He carried out significant amounts of pioneering archaeological work in Sussex  during the first half of the 20th century, along with Drs. Eliot and Cecil Curwen. He was made a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries  in 1949.