Black & white photograph of L-R: black-roofed croft house, outbuildings and new croft house, at Main Road Farm in Balephuil, around the 1930s. From an exhibition held at An Iodhlann in 1998.
Black & white photograph of (L-R) Lachlan MacLean and Mary MacLean, the children of Donald MacLean (1878-1936), Kenovay, and Johann Campbell. Donald was the son of Lachlan MacLean (1836-1921) and Mary MacDonald (1852-1920). The photo was taken at the old milk house at Kenovay in around 1930. The cheese press is visible on the left. Part of a large collection of items belonging to and about Donald Archibald McLean, Kenovay (1890-1981), and his family.
Booklet ‘The Archaeology of Scottish Thatch’ by Timothy G Holden. Technical Advice Note 13 produced by the Technical Conservation, Research and Education Division of Historic Scotland, Edinburgh, 1998. A description of the various materials and methods used to thatch houses throughout Scotland.
Black & white photograph of a thatched house around 1930-40, probably one of the row that later became part of the Thatched House Museum at Sandaig.
Collection of 42 scanned black & white photographs of people and places connected to Marion MacLeod, Port Mor, Sandaig. Most are portraits of un-named adults and children, with others of soldiers in uniform, crofters at work, and houses in Sandaig. A selection are catalogued separately: see 2019.81.2 – 10
Colour photographs of the thatched houses at Sandaig in 1988. The row of houses and barns was renovated by the Hebridean Trust, using traditional marram grass, and opened to the public as a museum. It closed in 2010 and was sold into private ownership. It has since been renovated again and the roofs replaced with reed thatch and black felt.
Black & white photograph of ‘Taigh Fionaghall’, Balemartine, with “Aunt Margaret” at the door, in the summer of 1934. Note that since 1924, the thatched roof has been replaced with tarred felt.