Colour photograph of a Navy ‘Wasp’ helicopter taking off from the Decca HIFIX caravan at Aird, Cornaigmore, in 1970. HIFIX stations were located at several spots in the Hebrides for relaying messages to/from survey vessels at sea, which were recording the topography of the ocean floor. The Navy had sent personnel ashore by helicopter to lay a cable from the mains electricity suppy to the caravan, in response to a complaint by the occupier of the house, Mr A Campbell, about the noise made by the caravan’s generator.
Colour photograph of the Decca HIFIX mast and caravan next to the house at Aird, Cornaigmore, in 1970. HIFIX stations were located at several spots in the Hebrides for relaying messages to/from survey vessels at sea, which were recording the topography of the ocean floor. The house in the photograph was occupied by Mr A Campbell, who “complained about the generator noise. He had spent his life at sea in engine rooms and thought he deserved a peaceful retirement”. As a consequence, a cable from the caravan was connected to the mains electricity supply. Includes additional emailed information.
Ham radio aerial 1930-1950s. Metal hook atop a wooden pole.
Copy of a letter dated July 2017 from the United States Coast Guard to the UK Maritime and Coast Guard Agency regarding transfer of ownership of a large marine buoy found by Donald Brown, which was washed up on the shore at Vaul in 2017. Includes photocopies of colour photographs of the buoy and its solar panels.
Accounting book belonging to Robert Nisbet, Heanish, containing records of amounts spent on (1) fencing materials for croft apportionment and the Scarinish-Heanish boundary in 1972, including the share of the costs for Nisbet and DA Cameron, and labour paid to Neil MacNeill for fencing work, (2) supplies from Boots the Chemists, Oban, 1948-1952, (3) goods from Cook & Blair, Greenock, 1948-1952, (3) goods from Cooper, McDougall & Robertson, Glasgow, 1947-1952, (3) insurance from the Co-operative Insurance Society, Glasgow, 1946-1952, (4) goods and services from George & Jobling, Glasgow, 1949-1952, (5) goods from Speedwell Lubricants, London, 1949-1951, (6) goods from Duncan MacDougall, Oban, 1950-1952, (7) goods from Kilmarnock Equitable Co-op Society, 1948-1950, (8) goods from J&D Hilston, Lanark, 1948-1952, (9) goods from McGill & Smith, Ayr, 1948-1952, (10) goods from MacFarlan Shearer & Co., Greenock, 1948-1952, (11) goods from Scottish Agricultural Industries, Glasgow, 1948-1952, (12) services from GPO – Telephone Manager, Glasgow, 1949-1951, (13) bull services of the Scarinish Hotel, 1950, (14) veterinary services of DS Brown, Oban, 1951-1952, (15) rent to the Duke of Argyll, 1949-1952, (16) membership of the Highland Cattle Society of Scotland, 1949-1951, (17) subscription to the Scottish Farmer newspaper, Glasgow, 1951-1952. The accounting book itself is titled “The Guildhall series of stock rulings”.
Newspaper article about the building of wireless telegraphy stations in Argyll, published in the Edinburgh Evening News, in 1906. The Tiree station was established at the foot of Ben Hough.
Click here to view 2017.18.1