Tag Archives: teachers

2012.117.2

Photograph of Cornaig School pupils in 1971/72

Colour photograph of Cornaig School pupils in 1971/72. Back row L-R: Duncan MacPhee, Scarinish; Lachie Campbell, Cornaigbeg; David Monigan, Kilkenneth; Cameron MacKinnon, Crossapol. Middle row L-R: Donna Campbell; Eileen Lyons, Mannal; Joyce Littlejohn, Crossapol; Peggy Brown (MacDonald), Balevullin; Norma Omand, Balephetrish; Monica Davis (Smith), Crossapol; teacher Gordon Connell. Front row L-R: Carol Holt, Crossapol; Elizabeth Gillespie, Balinoe; ?; Linda McLaughlin, Balinoe; Eileen Lepard, Ruaig. (original stored in filing cabinet 9 drawer 4)

r149.jpg

2011.108.1

Information about JR Morrison, Headmaster of Cornaigmore School in 1933.

Letter to An Iodhlann containing biographical information about John Rae Morrison (1902-1986), Headmaster of Cornaigmore School in 1933. Dated 17 Oct. 2011 and containing a duplicate copy of a photograph of pupils and staff at Cornaigmore School in 1933 (Q63). [This is a more complete copy of photo Q63 and was used to replace the archive copy].

2011.106.3

Photograph of the Galbraith croft house at Balevullin ca. 1890

Black & white photograph of (probably) the Galbraith thatched croft house at Balevullin in around 1890. James Galbraith and his family came to Tiree from Gigha in 1875 to take up the position of Head of the Parochial School at Balevullin. The Duke of Argyll displaced the MacLeod family off their croft to Kilmoluaig to make way for them. After James` death the family`s title to the croft at Balevullin was challenged by the Duke, despite one of James` daughters, Sarah (now living in Glasgow), continuing to pay the rent and her two sisters still living there. One sister, Mary Galbraith, married John MacDonald of Cornaigmore in 1907 and they continued to run the croft. However, after 10 years of pursuit, the Duke took the matter to Court and the croft was given up around 1913.

p159.jpg

2011.106.5

Photograph of members of the Galbriath family, Balevullin, ca. 1890

Black & white photograph of (probably) L-R: Janet Galbraith, Balevullin, her husband Donald MacDonald, Kilmoluaig, and her sister Mary Galbraith in around 1890. Janet and Mary were daughters of James Galbraith (1821-1903) who came to Tiree from Gigha with his family in 1874 to take up the position of Headmaster at Balevullin Parochial School. He was given the croft at Balevullin as part of his payment. Mary married John MacDonald of Cornaigmore in 1907, and continued to run the croft at Balevullin until the Duke of Argyll reclaimed it in 1903.

p161.jpg

2011.106.2

Photograph of James Galbraith (1821-1903), Balevullin, his wife and two grandchildren, ca 1890.

Black & white photograph of (probably) James Galbraith, Balevullin, Head of the Parochial School at Balevullin from 1874, his wife Janet (Wotherspoon) Galbraith and two of their Donald grandchildren, at the croft house at Balevullin around 1890. James and his family were originally from Gigha. The Duke of Argyll displaced the MacLeod family off their croft to Kilmoluaig to make way for them. After James` death the family`s title to the croft at Balevullin was challenged by the Duke, despite one of James` daughters, Sarah (now living in Glasgow), continuing to pay the rent and her two sisters still living there. One sister, Mary Galbraith, married John MacDonald of Cornaigmore in 1907 and they continued to run the croft. However, after 10 years of pursuit, the Duke took the matter to Court and the croft was given up around 1913.

p158.jpg

2011.88.2

School attendance registers for Heylipol School 1930-1968

Loose sheets from school attendance registers for each class at Heylipol School from October 1930 to June 1968. Signed by teachers and approved by headteachers. Includes the names of all pupils, their dates of birth and addresses (but not their attendance records).