Tiree Memories calendar 2018, produced by Alec Walker, Edinburgh. Photographs include the ‘Mary Stewart’ in Scarinish Harbour ca 1940, Cornaig Mill ca 1935, sheep shearing in Scarinish ca 1935, Balemartine from Cnoc Mor, Christina MacDonald (Curstaidh) at her spinning wheel, the Fever Hospital at Heanish ca 1945, MacDonald’s Store in Scarinish ca 1945, Scarinish from the air ca 1955, Ruaig hay stooks ca 1955, Mona MacDonald outside her shop in Scarinish, the Lodge Hotel ca 1955, Gott pier and ferry ca 1935, Duncan MacLean and his sisters outside The Shepherd’s Cottage in West Hynish ca 1900.
Collection of 29 black & white photographs and postcards retrieved from Mannal House featuring members of the MacDonald family, Catherine Campbell, Annie Campbell, Private H MacDonald, and their relations, around 1900-1930s. Some of these photos are catalogued individually (2015.40.6 – 2015.40.23).
Pair of carding combs
Pair of wooden carding combs with metal bristles used to `card out` sheeps wool into fine strands, ready for spinning into yarn. Given to John Morton Boyd, Balephuil, by Mrs Chrissie MacArthur and Miss Flora Campbell (Flòraidh a` Bhàird), Balemartine, on 9th July 1973. Includes a handwritten note by Morton Boyd about the combs.
Photograph of members of James Galbraith`s family at Balevullin ca. 1905
Black & white photograph of L-R: Sarah Galbraith (m.Donald), her mother Janet Wotherspoon (m.Galbraith), and her son Charles Donald with a spinning wheel outside the Galbraith thatched croft house at Balevullin, in around 1905. Janet was the wife of James Galbraith (1821-1903), the Head Master of the Parochial School at Balevullin. After his death, Sarah continued to pay the rent on the croft so that her two sisters, then one sister and her husband, John MacDonald (1869-) of Cornaigmore, could live there, but ended up in dispute with the Duke of Argyll over the title. As a result, the croft was given up in 1913.
Photographs and information about a spinning wheel possibly made on Tiree
Photograph and information about a spinning wheel, hand-made by Hugh MacInnes, possibly Tiree. It was given to a young bride from Lochgilphead and passed down through the “Campbell women” to modern times, and now in the possession of Mrs Campbell, Dollar. Includes a letter regarding the spinning wheel from Rev. Ray Gaston, Dollar, to An Iodhlann, 2011, and a responding letter, and a letter from the owner Mrs Jennifer Campbell, Dollar, and responding letter, 2011. (See also photo P124)