Black & white photograph of grave markers in the old graveyard at Soroby in the 1950s. The graves are of servicemen buried after WWII but before gravestones were erected. The three gracves to the right and just beyond the service graves belong to the Campbell family of Millport House, Hynsih.
Booklet ‘The Kirk on the Hill’ by Nicholas MacLean Bristol, Coll, 2007. The story of the Church in the Isle of Coll AD 550-2007. Contains material about Tiree when the parishes were joined (pg6): “…when in 1618 the parishes of Kirkapol and Sorobie in Tiree were united with that of Coll to form the United Parish of Tiree and Coll.”
Catriona Smyth has completed her monumental survey of the Soroby and Kirkapol graveyards, producing a database of transcribed inscriptions (where legible) and photographs of all the stones, translations of any Gaelic inscriptions and cemetery maps showing the locations of all stones. This is all now available online via An Iodhlann’s website or by visiting www.tireegraves.org.uk.
Collection of 29 black & white photographs and postcards retrieved from Mannal House featuring members of the MacDonald family, Catherine Campbell, Annie Campbell, Private H MacDonald, and their relations, around 1900-1930s. Some of these photos are catalogued individually (2015.40.6 – 2015.40.23).
Collection of 18 postcards of photographs of Tiree, 1920-1960
Collection of 18 original postcards showing photographed scenes from Tiree, some of which are used and stamped. Most are duplicates of existing archive items. Six scanned and accessioned separately (V121-V126).
Photograph of a coal puffer on Soroby beach around 1950
Black & white photograph of a coal puffer beached “north of Balemartine (Soroby?)” around 1950, with horse-drawn carts transporting coal away across the machair. (original stored on CD in filing cabinet 10 drawer 1)