Tag Archives: skerryvore


Bound booklet of transcribed excerpts regarding Tiree from the Autobiography and Memoirs of George Douglas, 8th Duke of Argyll (1823-1900).

Click here to view Tiree excerpts


Photograph of a scultpure of Skerryvore Lighthouse in Bournemouth in 2013

Colour photograph of a sculpture of Skerryvore Lighthouse in the Skerryvore Memorial Gardens in Bournemouth, dedicated to author Robert Louis Stevenson who lived there at 61 Alum Chine Road, Westbourne, Bournemouth, and named the house `Skerryvore` in honour of his family of lighthouse engineers who built Skerryvore and the pier and buildings at Hynish.



Photograph of the Decca Hifix radio camp at West Hynish in 1966.

Black & white photograph of the temporary Decca Hifix radio camp at West Hynish in July 1966, on the left of the picture (on the site that is now Agrimarine`s gravel quarry). The thatched house and barns of the last croft on the road are on the right with stooks in the field. Skerryvore lighthouse is just visible on the horizon.



Tiree Memories 2012 calendar

Display copy of Alec Walker`s `Tiree Memories 2012` calendar with old images of Skerryvore Lighthouse, the ferry and pier in the 1950s, airport control tower in mid 1950s, view from Balephetrish Hill over Balephetrish to Kenovay and Crossapol in the 1960s, a crofters house Balephuil, Balemartine around the 1960s, Baugh Bay, ferry at pier in mid 1930s, Gott Bay, Kirkapol church, view from Ben Hough of Loch Bhasapol, Scarinish from the air in the 1960s, coal boat unloading at Ruaig during the 1930s,


Photograph of a Skerryvore lighthouse from its base in 2006

Colour photograph of Skerryvore lighthouse from its base in summer 2006. Workmen can be seen suspended in a cradle half-way up.