Tag Archives: signalling tower

2007.48.4

Copy of black and white photograph of the Napier family on holiday in Hynish in 1947.

The Keepers` Cottages and Signalling Tower at Hynish in 1947. L-R: Ramsay Napier, unknown, Ramsay`s sister Isabel and mother Mary Napier, unknown, unknown. (Donated photo in Filing Cabinet 9 drawer 1)

k171.jpg

2007.48.3

Copy of black and white photograph of the Napier family on holiday in Hynish in 1947.

At the top of the Signalling Tower at Hynish 1947. L-R: Unknown, unknown, Mary Napier and her son Ramsay, unknown. (Donated photo in Filing Cabinet 9 drawer 1)

k170.jpg

2004.218.12

Colour aerial photograph of the Hynish complex taken in the summer of 2004 by Jane Phillis.

The Hynish complex in the summer of 2004 with the reservoir for flushing sand out the dock on the right. © Jane Phillis (HD 141 1A).

g129.jpg

2004.194.10

Aerial photograph of the keepers` cottages and the Signalling Tower at Hynish taken by James Gentles in July 2003.

The Signalling Tower and the keepers` cottages at Upper Square in Hynish photographed by James Gentles in July 2003 using a remote controlled camera on a kite.

g109.jpg

2004.138.3.1

Seven postcards of Tiree.

Three postcards of Tiree views published by Whiteholme Ltd of Dundee – (1) two views of Balevullin Bay, one of Balephuil and one of Balemartine; (2) Balevullin Bay; (3) Baugh. Four postcards with views of Tiree by Sue Anderson of Coll – (1) Kilkenneth and Kennavara; (2) Mannal; (3) Hynish and the Signalling Tower; (4) Sandaig.

2001.51.1

The Signalling Tower at Hynish

Photograph of the Signalling Tower at Hynish in the 1930s.

m79.jpg

Alan Stevenson, Clerk of Works to the Northern Lighthouse Board, chose Hynish as the site of the work yard for Skerryvore lighthouse because, at twelve miles distant, it was the closest suitable land to the skerries. The Signalling Tower afforded a clear view of the reef and was used to exchange signals by semaphore and lamp.

Preliminary arrangements included constructing a pier, dock and sluice system and building work sheds and accommodation for the numerous workers required for the lighthouse such as masons, quarriers, smiths, foremen, carpenters and joiners.

Work on the lighthouse was completed in 1842. The sheds now house the Alan Stevenson Centre and a museum dedicated to the building of Skerryvore lighthouse, both administered by the Hebridean Trust.

Black and white photograph of the Signalling Tower at Hynish.

The Signalling Tower at Hynish around 1930, from a small album from Silversands. (1997.176.10)