Black and white photograph of James MacFadyen, Scarinish.
James MacFadyen, Scarinish lighthouse keeper, taken in the 1930s.
The smack ‘Mary & Effie’ in Scarinish harbour
Photograph of the smack ‘Mary & Effie’ in Scarinish harbour in the early 20th century.
Courtesy of Mrs Marjorie Wilson
The ‘Mary and Effie’ was the last sailing vessel to bring cargoes to Tiree. She ceased trading around 1946. She was owned by Allan MacFadyen (Ailean Shandaidh), the grandson of Allan MacFadyen (1800-1891), who was a tenant of the Scarinish Hotel.
Allan MacFadyen the elder was the son of Janet Munn and John MacFadyen of Scarinish. In 1832 he married Amelia Stewart, daughter of Exciseman Alexander Stewart. The couple had seven sons and five daughters: John, Jessie, Catherine, Alexander, Malcolm, Amelia, James, Charles, Margaret, Donald, Hannah and another John.
Allan also owned a smack and in the 1840s carried stone from the quarry at Camas Tuath on the Ross of Mull, which was used in the building of Skerryvore Lighthouse.
Black and white photograph of of the smack `Mary & Effie` in Scarinish harbour.
The smack `Mary & Effie` owned by Allan MacFadyen of Lismore, the grandson of Allan MacFadyen (1800-1891) of Scarinish Inn.
Double spread feature about Tiree in the newspaper West Highland Star, 1997
Copy of the West Highland Star containing a feature about Tiree on pages 16 & 17. Includes articles about: (1) plans for a resource centre in Crosspol operated by Argyll & Bute Council Social Work Department which incorporate the local Forum for Disabilty and a youth café, with photograph of Primary 1 English and Gaelic units, (2) corncrake conservation and Dr Clive MacKay funded by RSPB and Scottish Natural Heritage, with photograph of Dr MacKay, (3) island gets ready for the longest running windsurfing event in the world, the Tiree Wave Classic, with photograph of Scarinish harbour, (4) young chess champion Daniel MacGowan chosen to represent Scotland in the European Youth Championship`s Under-12 section in Estonia, with photograph.
Photocopy of letter written to Lord Archibald Campbell by R. St George Moore.
The best site for a pier on Tiree and the author`s experience in building piers.
Letter written in 1899 to Lady Victoria Campbell about Gott Bay pier
Transcription of a letter written in 1899 by an unknown correspondent to Lady Victoria Campbell about Gott Bay pier.
Courtesy of His Grace the Duke of Argyll
The new pier at Gott Bay was built between 1909 and 1913 after many years of political pressure by Lady Victoria Campbell, Lord Archibald Campbell, the island’s surgeon Dr Alexander Buchanan and many others.
As stated in the letter, the Duke of Argyll was concerned about the increasing estimated cost of successive surveys. In the end the pier cost over £20,000 to build; £16,000 were spent on construction and plant, over £2,000 on fees and around £2,000 on interest.
It was paid for by contributions of £14,000 from the Congested Districts Board and the Board of Agriculture, £2,250 from the Duke, and the public and the Tiree Association each raised £250. The balance of £3,417 was supplied by an interest-free loan from the Agricultural (Scotland) Fund.
Photocopied report by the Argyll County Council Piers Committee on proposed pier at Gott Bay.
Report by the Sub-Committee of the Piers Committee on the proposed pier at Gott Bay, Tiree, detailing costs, location, specifications, applications, dates and captains recommendations.