Telegraphic instrument for tapping out and receiving telegram messages at Scarinish Post Office between 1888 and 1930. Originally from Skye and probably operated by Margaret Robertson (Mona’s mother), who is listed as the telegraphist in the 1911 census of Tiree. There is a key for sending messages and a sounder for receiving. Known as a KOB set (key on base), it is marked “20 ohm” on the base. The lever of the mechanism is steel and unmarked.
Round white metal tin of Cromophone telephone cleaning pads from the Scarinish Post Office in the 1960s. Made by Cromessol, Glasgow, each cotton pad contained Chlorhexidine cleansing agent for disinfecting telephone mouth-pieces, micro-phones and dictating machines.
Wooden picture of a windmill made up of pieces of inlaid wood veneer (marquetry) by Derek Clarke, Balemartine, around 1970. Derek Clarke and Brian Jefferson worked for the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), which took over responsibility for the airport equipment from the RAF in 1968. From the belongings of Angus MacLean, Scarinish.
Black & white photograph of a crowd around a bi-plane on The Reef during Sports Day in 1927. It was the first plane to land on Tiree. On the left is Kenneth MacKenzie, Scarinish (b. 1890). He worked as Piermaster and lived with his wife Agnes in the ‘Bank House’ in Scarinish, which was built for him.
Copy of an oil painting by D McConnachie of dipping lug-sail boat the ‘Morag’ owned by Donald Lamont, Ruaig. On the back, the artist expresses their pleasure at it residing with Mona MacLean, The Coolins, Scarinish.