Black & white photograph of three crofting men by a pen of sheep, probably at Sandaig/Middleton. Found in a collection of photographs connected to Marion MacLeod, Port Mor, Sandaig.
Collection of 42 scanned black & white photographs of people and places connected to Marion MacLeod, Port Mor, Sandaig. Most are portraits of un-named adults and children, with others of soldiers in uniform, crofters at work, and houses in Sandaig. A selection are catalogued separately: see 2019.81.2 – 10
1930s binoculars given to Archie MacLeod, Carrachan, Kilmoluaig, by one of the officers of the destroyer HMS Sturdy, which was wrecked on rocks at Sandaig in 1940. Archie (Erchie Charrachain) was home on leave from Gourock where he was skipper on one of the troop tenders based there during WWII. He was present at Sandaig during the rescue and carried ashore on his shoulders one of the Sturdy’s navigating officers who, in a show of gratitude, placed the binoculars around Archie’s neck. Archie’s son, also Archie (Gilleasbuig Carrachan), played with the binoculars as a boy. The binoculars remained in Carrachan until they were passed on to An Iodhlann in 2019.
Includes handwritten history of the binoculars by Gilleasbuig MacLeod.
Black & white photograph of HMS Sturdy broken in two on rocks at Sandaig during WW2.
Colour photographs of the thatched houses at Sandaig in 1988. The row of houses and barns was renovated by the Hebridean Trust, using traditional marram grass, and opened to the public as a museum. It closed in 2010 and was sold into private ownership. It has since been renovated again and the roofs replaced with reed thatch and black felt.
Three paper tri-fold leaflets promoting The Glassary restaurant and guesthouse, Sandaig, when it was owned by Mabel and Donald MacArthur. Printed around 1985.