Short, tubular, brass spacer found on the shore at Sandaig in 2021, and presumed to be from the destroyer HMS Sturdy which was wrecked there in 1940.
Coverless copy of ‘The British Women’s Cookery Book’, 1906 (2nd edition), edited by Mrs Ebeneezer (Elizabeth) MacLean, Stirling, and belonging to Donald MacArthur, Ibrox, who opened The Glassary Restaurant at Sandaig with his wife, Mabel. On the Introduction page Donald has written his name and his address in Glasgow.
The book was compiled for sale at the British Women’s Temperance Association Bazaar, which was held in Glasgow in 1905. Its aim was to help “spread knowledge of, and interest in, that efficiency of home management which affects the happiness of people, and their moral wellbeing”.
Porthole from the WWII warship, HMS Sturdy, which was wrecked on rocks off Sandaig during a storm in 1940. The porthole has been re-painted by Donald Brown, Vaul, and decorated with a sketch of the ship. The stainless steel bolts and backing (made from an old fish box) were added by Donald.
WWII sea mine discovered under gravel on the Sandaig shore in August 2016. Visible are the locations of the detonation horns and the hole where a time-sensitive self-destruct mechanism was installed. Hundreds of pebbles and shells are fused onto its surface. Tens of thousands of similar mines were laid around the Hebrides and the North Sea during the first and second world wars.
Black & white photograph of a thatched house around 1930-40, probably one of the row that later became part of the Thatched House Museum at Sandaig.
Black & white postcard photograph of an elderly woman holding a baby on her lap outside a house (not Tiree). Found in a collection of photographs connected to Marion MacLeod, Port Mor, Sandaig, and likely to be of her relations. On the reverse is written “Miss M MacLeod, Sandaig, Middleton, Isle of Tiree”, plus notes on colours of features and clothing of both subjects.