Tag Archives: salum

1 2 3 9

2018.78.1

The Scots Magazine, June 1965, with an article about Tiree and its people ‘Island of Prosperous Crofters’ by Campbell K Finlay. Includes photographs of Scarinish Harbour: A D Brown, Tobermory (merchant to Tiree); Margaret Brown, Vaul; Malcolm M MacLean, Salum; A H MacPhail, Clachan; A G H Bruton, Lodge Hotel; Travee; coastal cliffs; croft house, Scarinish; Parkhouse, Balephetrish; L J MacFadyen, Kenovay;  J L MacInnes, Salum; W MacPhee, gamekeeper; Balephetrish road. Also mentioned in text: Walter Hume, the Reef & An Fhaodhail, primary schools, boarded-out children, island house, sheep, bulb-growing, cottars, income, crofters’ war, snipe shooting, tourism, fishing.

Click here to view 2018.78.1

2017.68.2

Pipe wind cap from Calum (Salum) MacLean’s shop in Salum. Round metal cap for placing over the end of a smoker’s pipe in order to prevent the wind from disturbing the tabacco. These were used by sailors, crofters when in the hay barns, or by those not wanting holes burned into their clothes.

2016.54.16

Hand-drawn map of Tiree showing the locations of 15 aerial photographs taken around the island in 1998 (see 2016.54.1~15). Areas covered are: Kirkapol, Vaul, Ruaig, Cornaigmore, Cornaigbeg, Kenovay, Balephetrish, Caoles, Salum, Kennavara, Hough, Balevullin, Middleton, Kilkenneth, Moss, Baugh, Balemartine, Balinoe, Scarinish, Heanish and Hynish.

Click here to view 2016.54.16

2014.11.1

Magazine booklet `Gairm`no. 15, 1956

Booklet of news from the Gaelic-speaking world, including and article on Tiree (pg 270-275). Includes photographs of the mill at Cornaigmore, calves on a beach, Calum MacLean (Calum Salum) and his mother Kirsty Munn (Ciorstaidh Mhunn), Salum, and one of a boat at the Scarinish regatta containing Donald Archie Cameron.

2013.152.2

Copied pages from the 1792 census of Tiree

Printed photographs of a selection of pages from the original 1792 census of Tiree people held in the archives of Inveraray Castle, including total numbers of inhabitants for each township and lists of inhabitants’ names for Caoles, Salum, Kirkapol and Ruaig. “Total inhabitants [in Tiree] 1881; increase 583” since 1779 census. Subsection “Caoles-Ardeas” photographed during a visit to Inveraray by Glenda Franklin in 2013 (probably contains duplicates). Digital copies stored on An Iodhlann computer.

2013.152.3

Copies of pages from the 1792 census of Tiree inhabitants

Printed photographs of a selection of pages from the original 1792 census held in the archives at Inverary Castle including total numbers of inhabitants for each township and lists of inhabitants’ names for Caoles, Salum, Kirkapol and Ruaig. “Total inhabitants [in Tiree] 1881; increase 583” since 1779 census. Subsection “more 1792 census”, photographed during a visit by Glenda Franklin in 2013 (probably contains duplicates of 2013.152.2). Digital copies stored on An Iodhlann computer.

2013.152.1

Copied pages from the 1779 Census of Tiree

Printed photographs of a selection of pages from the original 1779 census of Tiree held in the archives at Inveraray Castle, listing the inhabitants of Salum, Caoles and Ruaig. Photographed during a visit by Glenda Franklin in 2013. Digital copies stored on An Iodhlann computer.

1 2 3 9