Booklet about the history of agriculture on Tiree, with reference to livestock, sales, cattle shows, vets, animal health, butchers, hens, potatoes, bulbs, seaweed and Gaelic words. Researched by Dr John Holliday for a summer exhibition at An Iodhlann.
Audio cassette recording of Angus MacFarlane and Willie Robertson interviewed by Maggie Campbell in Coll Hotel on 10/7/2003.
Angus MacFarlane and Willie Robertson of Coll talk to Maggie Campbell in July 2003: Angus talks about the village of Sorisdale, the shipwreck of the Nevada, the transportation of passengers and cargo by small boat to and from the ferry The Loch Earn and his work in Canada in the 1960s and 70s, mostly on ice-breakers; Willie talks about his holidays on Coll as a young boy and a typical day’s work, where people fished and the sort of fish caught, moving sheep to Eilean Mòr in the summer and back again in September. (continues on AC235). Mairead Chaimbeul air Colla anns an t- Iuchair 2003, a’ bruidhinn ri Aonghas MacPhàrlain agus Uilleam MacDhonnchaidh. Tha Aonghas a’ bruidhinn mu dheidhinn Sorasdal, briseadh a Nevada agus mar a bha luchd-siubhal agus luchd air a ghiùlan air bata beag fon bàta aiseag The Loch Earn gu Eilean Cholla. Tha Uilleam a’ bruidhinn mu dheidhinn làithean saor nuair bha e na bhalach, ag iasgach agus a falbh le caoraich gu Eilean Mòr. (A leantainn air AC235)
This petition was sent in 1851 to Sir John MacNeill, Chairman of the Board of Supervisors for the Relief of the Poor in Scotland. Sir John was married to a daughter of the 8th Duke of Argyll, who appended the petition to his ‘Crofts and Farms in Hebrides’ addressed to the Napier Commission of 1883.
A hundred and thirty-six islanders signed the petition. Ninety-nine of them were landless cottars; the remainder were small tenants, of whom only four paid rent over £10 a year. They represented the class of islanders that the Duke was anxious to clear from his estate.
Around a third of the petitioners were given assistance to emigrate with their families on board the ‘Conrad’, ‘Birman’ and ‘Onyx’ in July 1851. Another twenty-seven families from the island left with them.