Magazine article in Gaelic about Hector MacPhail, Ruaig (1945-2000), by Martin MacDonald and published in North 7 in 1978. The article is titled ‘Eachunn MacPhail, iasgair Thriodh’ and is about fishing and the harbour. Includes a photograph of Hector aged about 33.
Tiree Memories calendar 2018, produced by Alec Walker, Edinburgh. Photographs include the ‘Mary Stewart’ in Scarinish Harbour ca 1940, Cornaig Mill ca 1935, sheep shearing in Scarinish ca 1935, Balemartine from Cnoc Mor, Christina MacDonald (Curstaidh) at her spinning wheel, the Fever Hospital at Heanish ca 1945, MacDonald’s Store in Scarinish ca 1945, Scarinish from the air ca 1955, Ruaig hay stooks ca 1955, Mona MacDonald outside her shop in Scarinish, the Lodge Hotel ca 1955, Gott pier and ferry ca 1935, Duncan MacLean and his sisters outside The Shepherd’s Cottage in West Hynish ca 1900.
Two merit certificates from the Scotch Education Department for Jessie Ann MacDonald, Milton, while attending Ruaig Public School, in 1893 and 1895. Tragically, Jessie Ann died at just 18 years old. From a collection of items found in Milton Cottage, Caoles.
Handwritten letter to Mrs MacDonald, Milton, from Isabella Black, Vaul, dated 1914, regarding receipt of presents from Mrs MacDonald and from Jessie Ann (who was named after Jessie Ann MacDonald who died in 1898). The letter also mentions boys Neil and Hugh Archie, who would appear to be pupils of Isabella Black’s at Ruaig School. Includes the original envelope. From a collection of items found in Milton Cottage, Caoles.
Hand-framed newspaper obituary for Jessie Ann MacDonald of Milton Cottage, Caoles, who died at the age of 18 in 1898. She attended school at Ruaig and Glasgow, worked in Glasgow, then returned to Tiree to work in the post office. Daughter of Archibald MacDonald, who worked for MacBrayne ferries. From a collection of items found in Milton Cottage, Caoles.
Coloured photograph of ‘Lochan at Ruaig, Tiree’, 1941-43, taken by archaeologist George Holleyman FSA when he was stationed at RAF Tiree during WWII. Scanned from one of his hand-coloured glass lantern slides now held at An Iodhlann (see 2017.54.4).