Extract from ‘The Island of Tiree’ by William Reeves, D.D.
Transcription of an extract from ‘The Island of Tiree’ by William Reeves, D.D. about the ancient chapels and graveyards on the island.
Dr Reeves’ monograph on the ecclesiastical antiquities of Tiree was published in the Ulster Journal of Archaeology in 1854. In it he lists thirteen sites at Balinoe, Cornaigmore, Balephetrish, Kirkapol, Kilkenneth, Kennavara, Kilmoluaig, Barrapol, Hynish, Heylipol and Caoles.
In the Statistical Account of the 1790s, Rev. Archibald MacColl recorded that on Tiree there were ‘15 remains of old chapels or churches, at some of which are burying grounds and crosses still to be seen.’ Esrkine Beveridge in his ‘Coll and Tiree’ proposed sites for the two chapels not identified by Dr Reeves.
The first is Caibeal Thomais (St Thomas’s Chapel) which was situated with its burial ground on the outskirts of Scarinish. The second is on Cnoc Grianal, a knoll on the north-west of Ben Hynish near to Balephuil, where there may be the remains of a building measuring some 12 by 24 feet lying on an east-west axis.
Audio cassette recording of Angus MacLean, Scarinish, interviewed by Maggie Campbell in 2000.
Angus MacLean talks to Maggie Campbell about the crofts in Caoles going back to the 18th century, blacksmiths, boat-builders, stone masons and tailors, the mill in Caoles, standing stones and the stories and legends associated with them, the school and the many bards who came from there including Bard Thighearna Cholla.
Book `The Book of Barra` ed. by John Lorne Campbell.
Local and religious history, schools, customs and topography, agriculture, fishing and other industries, literature, the Crofters` Commission (1883), Norse Place-names, flora and fauna, and index of persons and places.
Book `Eigg – the Story of an Island` by Camille Dressler.
The story of Eigg and its inhabitants from earliest times to the present day, using written accounts, oral history, legends, song, and photographs. Covers crofting, clearances, clan battles, famine and changing landscapes until the community buy-out in June 1997.