Black and white photograph of the Terrace at Balemartine around the 1910s, with a woman and pig in the foreground. From a collection of photographs from Mannal House.
Booklet `Milkit Four Times in the Day` 2012
Booklet about the history of agriculture on Tiree, with reference to livestock, sales, cattle shows, vets, animal health, butchers, hens, potatoes, bulbs, seaweed and Gaelic words. Researched by Dr John Holliday for a summer exhibition at An Iodhlann.
Stock Movement Register kept by Charles Brown of Balephuil.
Stock Movement Register recording the movement of animals in and out of the croft between 1951 and 1960, kept by Charles Brown of Balephuil sliabh.
Periodical `The Coll Magazine`, No. 2, 1984.
Articles about sheep and farming in Coll in 1764, livestock on the island between 1940 and 1981, peat-cutting, lazy beds, local man Neillie John MacLean, the Free Church in Coll, early travellers to Coll, bird-watching and gardening, carrrageen and wild flowers, and other local news.
Audio cassette recording of Hugh Macleod of Cornaigbeg talking to Maggie Campbell in November 1999.
Hugh MacLeod (Eòghann Charrachan) of Cornaigbeg talks to Maggie Campbell in November 1999 about the smiddy in Cornaig and the blacksmith Seumas MacCallum who worked there in the 1930s and 1940s shoeing horses, the two churches in Cornaig and the preacher, Hector Meek of Caoles, church attendance, the Cornaig mill, the livestock at Whitehouse which was once a school, the weather station, the old ferries, good singers from Cornaig including Mod medallists.
Newsletter `An Tirisdeach`, No. 19, 13/2/1991.
Local news including the proposed linkspans for Tiree and Coll, the sale of Sruthan Stores in Crossapol, article about pigs bred on Tiree, heart checks at the surgery and the continuation of the article about Balevullin by Sandy MacKinnon.
Gott Bay pier in the 1920s
Photograph of a pig being hoisted aboard a steamer at Gott Bay pier in the 1920s.
Courtesy of Mrs Grace Campbell
In this photograph taken in the 1920s, a pig is being hoisted by a rope sling aboard a small steamer at Gott Bay pier. Canvas slings were more commonly used, but even so the pigs used to scream most horribly while in the air.
The Statistical Account of 1845 records that ‘a great number of pigs have been reared in this parish… They are generally exported alive chiefly to Glasgow and Greenock… Last spring upwards of 500 were shipped off from this island.’
The Agricultural Statistics for Tiree show that in 1867 there were only 260 pigs on the island. In 1910, the numbers had increased to 360, half of which were breeding sows. However, after 1910 the numbers declined steadily and by the mid-1960s there were none on the island
Black and white photograph of a pig being hoisted off a boat.
A pig being hoisted on or off a boat, probably taken in the 1930s.