Hough NAAFI in March 1943
Photograph of Hough NAAFI in March 1943.
Courtesy of Mr Willie Dickie
There were two NAAFIs (Navy, Army and Air Force Institutes) on Tiree during World War II: one at Crossapol and the other at Hough, confusingly referred to as Kilkenneth NAAFI by the RAF. Their purpose was to provide retail services and run recreational establishments for the Armed Forces.
Open all day for tea, snacks, beer and cigarettes, the NAAFIs were the hub of many people’s social life. There was a billiard room and a library of sorts. Servicemen and those in the Merchant Navy were admitted but civilians were often allowed in too.
Hut K2, ‘the booze shop’, at Hough was a popular meeting point for locals and servicemen. After monopolising the beer bar on Sunday lunch times, the local Home Guard was finally banned, as were the Italian POWs.
Black and white photograph of Hough NAAFI in March 1943.
Hough NAAFI in March 1943. L-R: (front) Annie Ross, Pat (surname unknown), Miss Sommerville, Edith Martin, (back) unknown, Jessie MacKillop of Bunessan, unknown, Effie Dickie nee MacKinnon of Caoles, cook (name unknown), unknown, Lottie MacDonald, Cathie MacLean of Heylipol, unknown, Kitty MacKinnon of Salen in Mull, Mary Flora MacDonald, manager Gordon Christie, Eliza MacLean, unknown.