Brass plaque from a sundial that once stood opposite the bank in Scarinish
Brass plaque on a wooden stand engraved with “Presented by F & I Gunnis, in memory of many happy days on Tiree, 1931”, which was once part of a sundial/weather vane encased in a glass box atop a concrete plinth. Mr & Mrs Gunnis donated the sundial/weathervane in 1931, where it stood on the side of the road, opposite the Bank in Scarinish until around 1950. Mr & Mrs Gunnis came on holiday to the Scarinish Hotel every year for many years in the 1920s and 1930s. Mr Gunnis had the shooting rights on Tiree.
Photograph of a war memorial to mariners who lost their lives in WWII
Colour photograph of a war memorial plaque listing the names of ships in which sailors lost their lives during the second world war. Includes HMS Sturdy which broke up on rocks at Sandaig in 1940 with the loss of five lives.
Photograph of the opening of a meeting at Tùr Mhic Chalium, Kilkenneth, in 1986
Colour photograph of Ailig MacArthur, Heylipol, speaking from a rostrum at the opening of a meeting at Tùr Mhic Chalium, Kilkenneth, in 1986. The meeting was officially opened by Mr Angus MacLeod from Lewis. (Original stored with an in filing cabinet 9 drawer 3)
DVD of the HMS Sturdy memorial event, Tiree, October 2010.
DVD of the HMS Sturdy memorial day at Sandaig and An Talla on 30th October 2010 on the 70th anniversary of the ship running aground on rocks at Sandaig with the loss of 5 crew. DVD also contains original, unconverted file.
Photograph of the Sturdy memorial at Sandaig, October 2010
Colour photograph of the HMS Sturdy memorial cairn and plaque that was erected on the seashore at Sandaig on the 70th anniversary of the grounding of the ship on 30th October 1940 with the loss of five crew.
Colour photograph of the stone cairn at Sandaig that supported the brass memorial plaque dedicated to those affected by the wrecking of the destroyer HMS Sturdy on rocks off Sandaig in October 1940 with the loss of five lives. Erected in 2010 on the 70th anniversary of the disaster as part of a memorial event. Photo taken in 2010 and donated by Bernie Smith, Balephuil.