Black & white photograph of L-R: black-roofed croft house, outbuildings and new croft house, at Main Road Farm in Balephuil, around the 1930s. From an exhibition held at An Iodhlann in 1998.
Colour-printed scans of three documents from the Argyll Papers, Inveraray Castle:
1. Sketch of the set of Tiree attempting to show where tenancies of 4 Mail Lands are practicable, 22 March 1803. (Ref: Argyll Papers PFV 65/75)
2. Statement showing the number of tenants and cottars and the livestock held by them on the Island of Tiree in 1848. (Ref: Argyll Papers NRAS 1209/3035)
3. Plan of the farm of Kenavay in the island of Tirii now divided into thirteen farms nearly to four male lands each, surveyed and divided by George Langlands, 1802. (Ref: Argyll Papers PV19/04)
Historical information about the home of Donald Brown (1864-1947) in Livingstone Shire, Australia, known as ‘Annie Brown’s House’ (one of his daughters) at ‘Main Camp’. Includes photographs of the building. Donald emigrated to Australia in 1886. His parents were Hugh Brown and Anne Kennedy of Moss.
Click here to view 2019.11.3
Information about Donald Brown of Tiree and Australia (1864-1947). He emigrated to Australia in 1886. His parents were Hugh Brown and Anne Kennedy of Moss. Material includes transcripts of a biography written in Yeppoon, Australia in 1925, a description of ‘Main Camp’ where he lived and farmed, an account of the death of one of his sons in 1906, an obituary in the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin, 1947.
Click here to view 2019.11.2
Genealogical records for Tom Barr, Balephetrish (1844-1918)
Print-outs of genealogical and census records for Thomas Barr, tenant of Balephetrish Farm 1864-1912, and his family.
Click here to view 2012.25.1
Photograph of members of the Galbriath family, Balevullin, ca. 1890
Black & white photograph of (probably) L-R: Janet Galbraith, Balevullin, her husband Donald MacDonald, Kilmoluaig, and her sister Mary Galbraith in around 1890. Janet and Mary were daughters of James Galbraith (1821-1903) who was born in Gigha, and came to Tiree from Rothiemurchus, near Aviemore, with his wife and children in 1874 to take up the position of School Master of the Parochial School at Balevullin. He was given the croft at Balevullin as part of his payment. Mary married John MacDonald of Cornaigmore in 1907, and continued to run the croft at Balevullin until the Duke of Argyll reclaimed it in 1903.
Map of west end of Tiree with updates c. 1934
Copy of an OS map from 1900, with handwritten annotations and updates by/for Cornaigmore H.G. and Heylipol Public schools in May/June 1934. Annotations include land use (probably Meadow, Heath and Agriculture) and notes regarding roads, crops, livestock, markets, horses and land tenure.