Tag Archives: meteorology

1999.216.1

Audio cassette recording of Hugh MacLean of Barrapol talking to Maggie Campbell in October 1999.

Hugh MacLean of Barrapol talks to Maggie Campbell in October 1999 about his boyhood and schooling at Sgoil na Mòintich, his work on the farm, a spell in the Merchant Navy and 40 years as clerk to Tain Committee, old burial places, old farming methods using horses, harvesting, changes in the weather, planting potatoes, Tiree-made shoes, storms and tornadoes, New Year festivities, whisky, the Glassary and Curtis-Stanford. Tha Iain Aonghais a’ bruidhinn ri Magaidh Chaimbeul anns an Dàmhair 1999 mu na daoine agus àiteachan ann agus mun cuairt Cill Moluaig, feum crotail airson aodach a dhath gu dearg, diofrach thobhtaichean mun cuairt Loch Bhasapol far am b’ àbhaist bradan agus bric a bhi, mac fear-uasal Dhòmhnall ’IcIllEathain a bha na fhear-brathaidh airson an Ruis, mar a fhuair ‘An Green’ ainm, na cathaidhean gainmhaiche a b’ àbhaist a bhi ann, uisge air a tharraing a tobraichean, ag obair air na croitean le eich, a’ cur coirce, neipean agus buntàta, a’ toirt sìol don mhuilinn ann an Còrnaig agus cion nan daoine far an robh iad uaireigin gu math lìonmhor.

1998.138.15

The Met. Station at Cornaig School

Postcard of the Met. Station at Cornaig School.

n1.jpg

Courtesy of Mr Donald MacKinnon

In 1924 the Meteorological Office proposed to establish an official telegraphic weather reporting station on Tiree at Cornaig School.

However, they first needed to bring a telegraph line to the post office at Cornaig which the GPO would only do if it was guaranteed an income of £60 per year. The Treasury offered to pay more than half of this and the line was installed in 1926 when five local people put up a guarantee of £5 a year each.

The headmaster Donald O. MacLean agreed to become the Met. Office Observer on Tiree for the sum of £52 a year and John MacPhail of Cornaigmore, was appointed Deputy Observer. The first report was filed in September 1926.

Black and white postcard of the Met Station at Cornaig School.

Postcard showing the Meteorological Station at Cornaigmore. Built by Hugh MacKinnon, Crossapol in 1926. The Headmaster of Cornaig School, D. O. MacLean first took charge of it, followed by Headmaster Mr. Morrison until he left in 1938. John MacPhail, crofter at Cornaigmore, took charge of the Met Station during the war years and, after his death, his wife Marion MacPhail took over responsibility. In around 1945 the Meteorological Office opened at the Reef, Crossapol, and the Cornaigmore station was closed.

1997.265.8

Newsletter `Fios agus Fathunn`, No. 8, 1981.

Local news including an address by Community Council chairman Gordon Donald, the condition of meat carriage on the ferries, the off-loading of newspapers and mail by Loganair, the death of Hugh MacEachern, the last blacksmith in Cornaigbeg, the weather, HIDB aid to crofting, a Gaelic hymn by Archie MacDonald of Kilmoluaig, Gaelic TV programmes, the churches, Slimming Club, WRI, Regatta Club, bird-watching and pipe music arranged by A. Sinclair.

1997.265.106

Newsletter `An Tirisdeach`, No. 69, 3/11/1993.

Local news including a reply from the hall committee to Sandy MacKinnon`s letter, the accident black spot at Baugh, an extra air ambulance stationed at Glasgow, this year`s Wave Classic, the botanical survey of Tiree, the Duke of Edinburgh`s Award Scheme, the weather and news from the golf club, the Gaelic Partnership, Tiree Association, the gardening and youth clubs.

1999.196.7

Newsletter `Fios agus Fathunn`, No. 8, 1981.

Local news including an address by Community Council chairman Gordon Donald, the condition of meat carriage on the ferries, the off-loading of newspapers and mail by Loganair, the death of Hugh MacEachern, the last blacksmith in Cornaigbeg, the weather, HIDB aid to crofting, a Gaelic hymn by Archie MacDonald of Kilmoluaig, Gaelic TV programmes, the churches, Slimming Club, WRI, Regatta Club, bird-watching and pipe music arranged by A. Sinclair.

1997.265.109

Newsletter `An Tirisdeach`, No. 72, 15/12/1993.

Local news including the rise in fuel prices and the introduction of airport surcharge, the road at Baugh, the forthcoming election of new Community Council, the local bus service, visiting Social Worker Moira MacKechnie, ferry services, the weather, a face-lift for the pierhead, and news from the feis, the playgroups and Forum on Disability.

1997.265.10

Newsletter `Fios agus Fathunn`, No. 10, 1982 (3 copies).

Local news including the proposed closure of the knitwear factory, a letter from the Director of Water about the muddy mains water, the continuing off-loading of mail and newspapers from Loganair flights, news from the church, the school, Vaul Golf Club, the Regatta Club and the Boys Brigade, a letter from the vet about vaccination of of calves, the weather and bird-watching.

1997.265.12

Newsletter `Fios agus Fathunn`, No. 12, 1982.

Local news including the re-opening of the knitwear factory trading as Tiree Knitwear Ltd, prize-winners at the Agricultural Show, the weather, slimming advice from Dr Campbell and news from the church, the school, the Slimming Club and the Regatta Club, and a Gaelic song by Neil Brownlie.